Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

2022/23 Alex Iwobi

Status
Not open for further replies.
He doesn't really fit the Dyche system, he is wasted out on the right. He said again a few weeks back he prefers playing in the middle. Also doesn't score anywhere near enough goals. He is also looking for a new contract and will want decent money and is it worthwhile for us? or would Dyche rather have a proper winger on the right? We may even play a different system (wishful thinking) have to wait and see tbh.

We still need a squad. What if this new winger get injured or need a rest. Iwobi can play different positions. We need to keep our decent players.

If we stay up, and that's still in question, we need to be getting rid of the likes of Iwobi. He's been a key reason why we've been near the bottom of the table for two years due to his inability to score enough goals or contribute to attacks in a meaningful way.

2 goals in 35 games so far is disgraceful, and I'm sure he only got 2 last season as well. As much as he runs about more than he did when he joined us and in his first two seasons, you can get that from any player without needing to pay 30m for them and no doubt close to 100k a week.

We need much better quality out wide. McNeil is making great strides, but Gray and Iwobi are pathetic. I'd keep relatively low-cost Gray for the bench and get rid of Iwobi, as nice a chap as he no doubt is.

My for sale or released list:
Iwobi, Gomes, Alli, Gbamin, Holgate, Keane, Coleman, Townsend, Maupay, Mina.

Saves us around 700k a week which really highlights how we've got into the financial state we're in. £36m a year down the toilet!

All you'd need to replace them is one new quality CB as Branthwaite and Godfrey are here already for rotation options, one new goalscoring winger, a right back to challenge Patterson and two strikers. 10 out, 5 in.

We'd end up saving around £15m a season in wages.

We still need a squad. What if this new winger get injured or need a rest. Iwobi can play different positions. We need to keep our decent players.
We don't have any decent players, we have been fighting relegation the past 2 seasons. There is nobody in this squad that would be missed. We just need to open our eyes when it comes to recruitment and realize that there is a world beyond the 'PL experience' zone.

If we stay up, and that's still in question, we need to be getting rid of the likes of Iwobi. He's been a key reason why we've been near the bottom of the table for two years due to his inability to score enough goals or contribute to attacks in a meaningful way.

2 goals in 35 games so far is disgraceful, and I'm sure he only got 2 last season as well. As much as he runs about more than he did when he joined us and in his first two seasons, you can get that from any player without needing to pay 30m for them and no doubt close to 100k a week.

We need much better quality out wide. McNeil is making great strides, but Gray and Iwobi are pathetic. I'd keep relatively low-cost Gray for the bench and get rid of Iwobi, as nice a chap as he no doubt is.

Saves us around 700k a week which really highlights how we've got into the financial state we're in. £36m a year down the toilet!

All you'd need to replace them is one new quality CB as Branthwaite and Godfrey are here already for rotation options, one new goalscoring winger, a right back to challenge Patterson and two strikers. 10 out, 5 in.

I'm not a fan, but he has 7 or 8 assists for us this year which could turn out vital.
He has a very decent work rate both ways and was one of the reasons we were able to contain Mitoma last Monday night.
He gives away the ball, which has led to us giving away goals, his crossing is piss poor, he pulls his cuffs over his hands, looks a bit headless most of the time, but like Doucoure, he brings an energy which we massively lack when they're both not on the pitch.

Should we be looking at better, yes.
Was £25m+ well spent, no.

Being skint atm and with priorities elsewhere can we afford to go out and trust that we would buy better, I honestly don't think so.

Mate, you say we need to be getting rid of the likes of Iwobi, but then later in your post list Godfrey as an option for squad rotation.
We need to get rid of one of our actual better player and consider one of our worst?
Have you seen how much deadwood we have, you listed a few, the list of good players, that should include Iwobi, is even smaller

Mate, you say we need to be getting rid of the likes of Iwobi, but then later in your post list Godfrey as an option for squad rotation.
We need to get rid of one of our actual better player and consider one of our worst?
Have you seen how much deadwood we have, you listed a few, the list of good players, that should include Iwobi, is even smaller
Do you know why I suggested that? Because he earns significantly less than Keane and Holgate and is not worse than either of them. All three are poor players. We won't sign Coady, Mina is going, and it's obvious that Dyche wouldn't go ahead and sell all three of Keane, Holgate and Godfrey because he wouldn't get much for them and we'd need to add additional funds to improve in that area due to lack of numbers. We have Branthwaite coming back, and so we could and should be looking at selling both of Keane and Holgate and replacing them with one new centre half. Tarkowski, Branthwaite and a new centre half as first three choices, with Godfrey as backup.

And yes Iwobi is poo.

whether we let Iwobi go or renew his contract depends upon whether we are found guilty of any P&S breaches and whether we are given a transfer ban.

In an ideal world I'd release and replace him.

Do you know why I suggested that? Because he earns significantly less than Keane and Holgate and is not worse than either of them. All three are poor players. We won't sign Coady, Mina is going, and it's obvious that Dyche wouldn't go ahead and sell all three of Keane, Holgate and Godfrey because he wouldn't get much for them and we'd need to add additional funds to improve in that area due to lack of numbers. We have Branthwaite coming back, and so we could and should be looking at selling both of Keane and Holgate and replacing them with one new centre half. Tarkowski, Branthwaite and a new centre half as first three choices, with Godfrey as backup.

And yes Iwobi is poo.
HAHAH His stats prove otherwise, as I correctly pointed out yesterday, 10 points alone he has has made us this season, try taking them off the grand total of 32 we have and see were it puts us. Also that bit about Godfrey earns significantly less, its all well and good saving money but we need point too, dont forget next season we fight relegation again

HAHAH His stats prove otherwise, as I correctly pointed out yesterday, 10 points alone he has has made us this season, try taking them off the grand total of 32 we have and see were it puts us. Also that bit about Godfrey earns significantly less, its all well and good saving money but we need point too, dont forget next season we fight relegation again
This is going away from the topic but if you had to choose to keep one of Keane/Holgate/Godfrey knowing that the club desperately needs to get its wages down, almost everybody would say keeping Godfrey would be the smart move. Youngest of the three, most flexible tactically and like I said, no worse than the other two.

Regarding Iwobi, I feel it's a moot point anyway because nobody will come up with the dough needed. What the lad needs to do is find consistency in his performances, but when he's been here over 3 years and not been able to put any kind of extended period of form down, you kind of lose hope that he'll suddenly become a regular 7/10 player.

I said it in the Brighton thread that I felt that was his best ever performance for us. If he could do that in 3 out of every 5 games I'd be delighted to keep him. But he never has been able to.

whether we let Iwobi go or renew his contract depends upon whether we are found guilty of any P&S breaches and whether we are given a transfer ban.

In an ideal world I'd release and replace him.
in an ideal world you'd sell him for decent (relatively speaking) money.

35 times this season he has played in the league, thats 35 out of 35, with a small squad that has been vital for us.
Added to that he has scored two goals and assisted 8 times, now this is interesting, obviously if you get one assist in a 5 1 win you havent had a affect on the win, however his goals and assists have by themselves won us 10 points this season, turning draws into wins and losses into draws, without his contribution this season we have no chance of staying out.
Player of the season without question

Thing is...you can throw all the stats into the mix but not one person can give a valid argument to defend him if it was a choice between Iwobi or buying an actual central midfielder or winger over him.

Personally think while he's had probably his best season for us...he's still part of the problem with the balance of the squad.

It's his athleticism that keeps him playing rather the being good in a position.

He wouldn't play 1st team for any other team in the league.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back