2022/23 Amadou Onana

Status
Not open for further replies.
Which I bet Moyes regrets to this day.
For sure.

But he's not asking Onana to replicate Defour as a player, he's asking Defour to bridge the gap in understanding Dyche's methods.

"He is a talent, but the ugly side of the game he has to learn. I told him I would get Steven Defour to speak with him. He will teach him what the requirements of the Premier League are. He has come in here with real talent and is fantastic physically. We will get him fitter, sharper and teach him to be a complete player. Steven will help me, educate him. he is a well-respected international footballer for Belgium and he will rub off on him [Onana]. If he doesn't, I'll rub off on him"

For sure.

But he's not asking Onana to replicate Defour as a player, he's asking Defour to bridge the gap in understanding Dyche's methods.

"He is a talent, but the ugly side of the game he has to learn. I told him I would get Steven Defour to speak with him. He will teach him what the requirements of the Premier League are. He has come in here with real talent and is fantastic physically. We will get him fitter, sharper and teach him to be a complete player. Steven will help me, educate him. he is a well-respected international footballer for Belgium and he will rub off on him [Onana]. If he doesn't, I'll rub off on him"

HR getting the sexual harassment powerpoint ready after hearing this.

For sure.

It's a funny comment that I quoted myself.

Onana is a big character who'd probably shrug off any possible negativity from it. But we're in such a precarious position we cant afford to be getting on the wrong side of key players. SD surely knows that.

Looks like he shoots from the hip though, so we better get used t it.

I've no problem in players being hyped by a manager in public, I just dont get any need to say they need developing by another player.

Yes, Onana is raw and it's a good idea to get him behind the scenes coaching on positional sense etc. But I doubt Onana wants the whole world to know he's being told to get the advice of a senior pro.

On the first point: I know it sounds daft with the state we're in right now, but we are a massive club and it's a big step up for SD. So I can understand initial comments that maybe justify his hiring. It is the first week, so I'm being harsh. Hopefully now we hear less of of his hang ups and that's the end of it.

I like what I see, but that bit just grated a little.

Onana talks about how he needs to develop etc pretty openly. He's only 21 - players will look to others.

It's not like he's telling Rio Ferdinand to copy Phil Jagielka.

It's naff aggregator accounts taking stuff out of context.

Onana talks about how he needs to develop etc pretty openly. He's only 21 - players will look to others.

It's not like he's telling Rio Ferdinand to copy Phil Jagielka.

It's naff aggregator accounts taking stuff out of context.
Yeah, I just said above that the character of the player needs considering too. He's a big personality and maybe SD has figured out already he can say stuff about certain players and not others.

I like the way Dyche got off the pitch the other day quickly and left the players to it. His predecessor would have milked it....if I was a player that wouldn't have impressed me.

Yeah, I just said above that the character of the player needs considering too. He's a big personality and maybe SD has figured out already he can say stuff about certain players and not others.

I like the way Dyche got off the pitch the other day quickly and left the players to it. His predecessor would have milked it....if I was a player that wouldn't have impressed me.
Dave, you’re the biggest player on the forum ❤️

#myhero

Dave, you’re the biggest player on the forum ❤️

#myhero
1f937-2642.png

Emotional intelligence is high with Dyche, whether it's chosen or just being humble matters not. Double edged sword playing to the crowd.

The context to Dyche/Defour/Onana.

Dyche: "He is a talent, but the ugly side of the game he has to learn. I told him I would get Steven Defour to speak with him. He will teach him what the requirements of the Premier League are. He has come in here with real talent and is fantastic physically. We will get him fitter, sharper and teach him to be a complete player. Steven will help me, educate him. he is a well-respected international footballer for Belgium and he will rub off on him [Onana]. If he doesn't, I'll rub off on him"

I think Dyche is spot on, Onana is comfortably our best, and most valuable player. He'll win the games biggest titles, but in the immediate he would benefit from being a tad more streetwise on the pitch. That'll come.

Fellaini has a similar challenge early days, he'd go to the extreme to compensate though an made a negative name for himself for a spell.
tumblr_m5i82qs3yg1rr7wnno1_400.jpg

I'll rub off on him.

Status
Not open for further replies.