2022/23 Amadou Onana

Status
Not open for further replies.
The one player that I can see being genuinely world class down the line. If he is already this solid with that athletic ability and size in his locker, he can be very very good down the line.
He's got decent technical ability too. The old Fellaini way of bringing it down then doing something with it (a couple times when he did that and turned away from his player then strode clear). The run and ball across that Dom missed shows decent intelligence and knowing and making the right/best pass.

Only partly, I watched an interview with Dyche recently, it might have been that latest Jake Humphrey one and he was asked who the most talented player he's ever managed was. He said Defour. He then explained how it took Defour a little while to understand the dedication, fitness levels and effort levels required at this level, but when he eventually got there he was brilliant. He then said Defour was really unlucky because he got a bad injury which effectively ended his career
Okay, that makes more sense.

In the tweet, it only talked about Defour’s experience of the Premier League as being an asset.

It's very strange because Onana and Defour are completely different players! Maybe it's about his positioning and such as a centre mid because he does be a bit all over the place at times, makes up for it with his gargantuan legs though.

Yeah unbelievable, literally every 2nd post for the last 15 pages.

Pathetic.

Amadou is projecting his love to the everton fanbase in the media meanwhile the fans are counting how many millions they can make by selling him, on an online forum.

Wonderful.

Really annoying isn't it. At least it will stop when we sell him.
Tbf I don't think it's that they want to sell him, just that many ppl think it is inevitable and not far away either...

The context to Dyche/Defour/Onana.

Dyche: "He is a talent, but the ugly side of the game he has to learn. I told him I would get Steven Defour to speak with him. He will teach him what the requirements of the Premier League are. He has come in here with real talent and is fantastic physically. We will get him fitter, sharper and teach him to be a complete player. Steven will help me, educate him. he is a well-respected international footballer for Belgium and he will rub off on him [Onana]. If he doesn't, I'll rub off on him"

I think Dyche is spot on, Onana is comfortably our best, and most valuable player. He'll win the games biggest titles, but in the immediate he would benefit from being a tad more streetwise on the pitch. That'll come.

Fellaini has a similar challenge early days, he'd go to the extreme to compensate though an made a negative name for himself for a spell.

I think Dyche needs to keep in-house some of these ideas he has and not air them in public.

Outside looking in, we look a team in disarray.

We probably are, but that perception doesn't help.

We heard a few players felt the club are too unstable to join like Batshuayi, and Man Utd apparently didn't think we were constructive to Elanga's development.

Usually I'd agree, but anything Dyche can do to talk up player development helps us - especially when he'll be putting so much stock on how good the players are, and how he will be trying to get more out of them. A lot of that is psychology.

Also don't underestimate how Onana values players like Defour. I said before he joined that him seeing Fellaini/Lukaku/Mirallas do well at us will be key, and after joining he spoke about how he spoke to all of them.

Outside looking in, we look a team in disarray.

We probably are, but that perception doesn't help.

We heard a few players felt the club are too unstable to join like Batshuayi, and Man Utd apparently didn't think we were constructive to Elanga's development.

Usually I'd agree, but anything Dyche can do to talk up player development helps us - especially when he'll be putting so much stock on how good the players are, and how he will be trying to get more out of them. A lot of that is psychology.

Also don't underestimate how Onana values players like Defour. I said before he joined that him seeing Fellaini/Lukaku/Mirallas do well at us will be key, and after joining he spoke about how he spoke to all of them.
Yes, but I dont understand if he's making these matters public.

The only reservation I have of Dyche so far is that he's talked a little bit too much about himself and the perception others have of him character-wise and professionally and how he cant be put into any box neatly. If I was a player I'd weary of that very quickly. The Onana / Dufour stuff is part of that in the sense he's proving how much he can think outside the box.

Yes, but I dont understand if he's making these matters public.

The only reservation I have of Dyche so far is that he's talked a little bit too much about himself and the perception others have of him character-wise and professionally and how he cant be put into any box neatly. If I was a player I'd weary of that very quickly. The Onana / Dufour stuff is part of that in the sense he's proving how much he can think outside the box.

Yeah, I do think he has a bit of a complex.

I've felt he either doesn't think himself he's good enough for the job, or he thinks others doesn't.

It's just little things he keeps saying - like usually he wouldn't get the job. How he has to earn the right/respect etc.

Perhaps that means he's overcompensating a bit.

Whatever the reason, whether intentional or not though - a manager talking about players individual development plan etc can help perception of the club at the moment. Players want to know they'll develop here - that perhaps doesn't appear to be the case the last few years.

Reminds me of Moyes going to United and telling their defenders to watch footage of Phil Jagielka. Which was entirely fair at the time, because Jags was the best defender in the world. Still is actually.
Nothing wrong with setting up a call for Onana with a compatriot who can help speed up the buy-in and understanding of how Dyche will want them to work. Really a positive move. And if Steven Defour didn't suffer that terrible injury he would have also been a terrific Everton signing back in the day.
Everyone complaining needs to get over themselves a little bit.

Yeah, I do think he has a bit of a complex.

I've felt he either doesn't think himself he's good enough for the job, or he thinks others doesn't.

It's just little things he keeps saying - like usually he wouldn't get the job. How he has to earn the right/respect etc.

Perhaps that means he's overcompensating a bit.

Whatever the reason, whether intentional or not though - a manager talking about players individual development plan etc can help perception of the club at the moment. Players want to know they'll develop here - that perhaps doesn't appear to be the case the last few years.
I've no problem in players being hyped by a manager in public, I just dont get any need to say they need developing by another player.

Yes, Onana is raw and it's a good idea to get him behind the scenes coaching on positional sense etc. But I doubt Onana wants the whole world to know he's being told to get the advice of a senior pro.

On the first point: I know it sounds daft with the state we're in right now, but we are a massive club and it's a big step up for SD. So I can understand initial comments that maybe justify his hiring. It is the first week, so I'm being harsh. Hopefully now we hear less of of his hang ups and that's the end of it.

I like what I see, but that bit just grated a little.

Reminds me of Moyes going to United and telling their defenders to watch footage of Phil Jagielka. Which was entirely fair at the time, because Jags was the best defender in the world. Still is actually.
Nothing wrong with setting up a call for Onana with a compatriot who can help speed up the buy-in and understanding of how Dyche will want them to work. Really a positive move. And if Steven Defour didn't suffer that terrible injury he would have also been a terrific Everton signing back in the day.
Everyone complaining needs to get over themselves a little bit.
Which I bet Moyes regrets to this day.

Status
Not open for further replies.