2022/23 Amadou Onana

Status
Not open for further replies.
I feel like some people are missing that he’s playing a really important role in being the auxiliary centre forward that we aim all long kicks at. Even though his overall performances haven’t been great recently, we can’t just replace him with Tom davies and carry on playing the same way. His size is really important to us at the moment, and to some extent he’s sacrificing the rest of his game to allow us to use him that way.
Noticed him swapping that role with Doucoure halfway through the match which seemed to work okay. Neither have any composure in front of goal sadly

He is obviously still carrying a knock from his knee issue a few weeks back.

He is better than the other options currently and at 21 and this being his first season in the league he should improve.

He should be on about 6 goals now... he could do with some work there but couldn't they all?

Even Vieira didnt hit 6 league goals until he was 24.

But agreed, looks like hes carrying an injury and sacrificing his all round game in the unfamiliar advanced role.

Could help him develop if he moves back next season.

Even Vieira didnt hit 6 league goals until he was 24.

But agreed, looks like hes carrying an injury and sacrificing his all round game in the unfamiliar advanced role.

Could help him develop if he moves back next season.
Oh I am not saying I expect him to have 6 goals just he could feasibly had that many. He has missed some good chances (which is OK) and been unlucky in some cases.

Oh I am not saying I expect him to have 6 goals just he could feasibly had that many. He has missed some good chances (which is OK) and been unlucky in some cases.
It’s ok if we’ve got a forward or other players scoring them but when we’re short on goals he’s got to be taken some of them chances, really big miss on the weekend which could of cost us 3 points.

He's got 7 career senior goals. It's just not his thing.

I also thought the chance on Saturday wasn't easy, it bounced up high away from him, only reason he got contact at all was because he's massive.
I thought that.

My gut still says he should be hitting the target at the very least though.

Oh yeh I'd like him to have hit the target but think people are overstating how easy of a chance it was (it wasn't)

Yeah, like us all, at the time you're like "HOW HAVENT YOU BURIED THAT". Once rational thinking comes in and you see it again, out of the heat of the moment, it becomes apparaent that it was only because he's so tall he even had the chance. I still think he should have done better, but have some sympathy it wasn't a complete sitter like some of the chances this season.

He's got to be scoring some of these chances he keeps on getting - one goal in the entire season isn't enough. He's taller than most players on the field but doesn't pose a threat from set pieces, and consistently fluffs golden opportunities in play.

Don't get me wrong, I think he's been really impressive this season and I hope we are able to keep him for a good few seasons, but that's one obvious part of his game he can improve in.

Would love him to be the player we all thought would be going to Arsenal or Chelsea this summer; got himself a year of PL experience with us, shone brightly in our shoddy midfield then started wanting Champions League football. Last 2 months he has been outshone by Doucoure which no one could have seen coming. He’s just doesn’t effect games at all.

Clearly has it in him. Not sure we have worked out what sort of player he is and where to put him on the pitch. Doesn’t create or score, but also doesn’t have the marking and positional discipline to play deeper. Just needs to run his balls off now til the end of the season so can’t be faulted for effort. 2 months of 7/10 performances from him will be enough for us.

Would love him to be the player we all thought would be going to Arsenal or Chelsea this summer; got himself a year of PL experience with us, shone brightly in our shoddy midfield then started wanting Champions League football. Last 2 months he has been outshone by Doucoure which no one could have seen coming. He’s just doesn’t effect games at all.

Clearly has it in him. Not sure we have worked out what sort of player he is and where to put him on the pitch. Doesn’t create or score, but also doesn’t have the marking and positional discipline to play deeper. Just needs to run his balls off now til the end of the season so can’t be faulted for effort. 2 months of 7/10 performances from him will be enough for us.

He has had an absolute nightmare last few games, hope it doesn't continue.

Status
Not open for further replies.