2023/24 Amadou Onana

I posted a few months back about how I didn't see an awful lot in what he does and was he better 'in real life' so to speak? A few lids who actually go to the game said wtte 'he looks better in the flesh' ie i am missing stuff being a telly clapper.

He'll probably be ace surrounded by De Bruyne types, as would we all, but I wish I could be devastated about him possibly leaving, but I'm just not arsed.

I’m a season ticket holder mate (and go to a fair few away) and what you see on the telly is what he’s like in the flesh, that’s my opinion like.

He does do some simple things well, and has a great touch. He just doesn’t affect games. Lax marking, few assists, fewer goals. If he game here to develop and get game time (the right thing to do) then he hasn’t developed at all. You can see his latent ability better in the flesh, but you can also see the wide angle shots where he abandons a midfield runner who scores, with Onana still outside our box. Time and time again. Finally came to a head at Chelsea (not alone in that).

I get we are crap, the coaching is probably poor. Often said he will be awesome surrounded by good players. Great teams don’t carry their centre mids!

In terms of elite international CMs, Rice looks great in the middle for Arsenal. Really pushed them up a level. But he also looked fantastic at West Ham, in a decent but worse side. And not just in that last season; in earlier seasons when he was still learning. He still looked good AND won them games.

Grealish looks a shadow of his former self surrounded by the best players in the world. Stood out a mile in a sometime poor Villa side.

If clubs are still extra careful with their cash this summer, I’d worry the better teams won’t be able to risk £50m+ on someone they “think” will be good in a better team. The time for saying he is young and inexperienced past 12 months ago at least. The things he doesn’t do are nothing to do with age or experience. All to do with desire and focus. Need to hope Chelsea are still in the mood to chuck money around to get a proper fee for him.

Rice looks great in the middle for Arsenal. Really pushed them up a level. But he also looked fantastic at West Ham, in a decent but worse side. And not just in that last season; in earlier seasons when he was still learning. He still looked good AND won them games.

And that’s the thing mate, these players get their big moves to the top clubs because they shine at the lesser teams. What has Onana actually done for us that would put him in that category? Unless these top clubs have been reading @Zatara posts and he’s fooled them into thinking Onana is boss.

He does do some simple things well, and has a great touch. He just doesn’t affect games. Lax marking, few assists, fewer goals. If he game here to develop and get game time (the right thing to do) then he hasn’t developed at all. You can see his latent ability better in the flesh, but you can also see the wide angle shots where he abandons a midfield runner who scores, with Onana still outside our box. Time and time again. Finally came to a head at Chelsea (not alone in that).

I get we are crap, the coaching is probably poor. Often said he will be awesome surrounded by good players. Great teams don’t carry their centre mids!

In terms of elite international CMs, Rice looks great in the middle for Arsenal. Really pushed them up a level. But he also looked fantastic at West Ham, in a decent but worse side. And not just in that last season; in earlier seasons when he was still learning. He still looked good AND won them games.

Grealish looks a shadow of his former self surrounded by the best players in the world. Stood out a mile in a sometime poor Villa side.

If clubs are still extra careful with their cash this summer, I’d worry the better teams won’t be able to risk £50m+ on someone they “think” will be good in a better team. The time for saying he is young and inexperienced past 12 months ago at least. The things he doesn’t do are nothing to do with age or experience. All to do with desire and focus. Need to hope Chelsea are still in the mood to chuck money around to get a proper fee for him.
That sums him up perfectly for me, his potential may blossom into reality but what he does now is of no benefit to Everton FC.

Have seen glimpses of what he's capable of. Glimpses of him picking up the ball and marauding with it into the final third.

But he's not showing it anywhere near enough. Just not sure what is is. Confidence issue? Management? I dunno.

Either way I think given our money issues he's probably out the door

Last night + i forgot but not many games ago...

You could see him with the ball driving forward / about to drive forward and then he would suddenly stop dead, pass the ball and look towards Dyche.

It seems clear to me hes under instructions to hold position.

And that’s the thing mate, these players get their big moves to the top clubs because they shine at the lesser teams. What has Onana actually done for us that would put him in that category? Unless these top clubs have been reading @Zatara posts and he’s fooled them into thinking Onana is boss.

Hes a quality player. Should be used as a proper anchor not what ive seen mostly since he joined.

Hes never going to play that role under Dyche and we may as well go for 2 players in the centre with nowhere near his ability...that can run around alot.

I would like to see him replace Partey.

Last night + i forgot but not many games ago...

You could see him with the ball driving forward / about to drive forward and then he would suddenly stop dead, pass the ball and look towards Dyche.

It seems clear to me hes under instructions to hold position.

Hes a quality player. Should be used as a proper anchor not what ive seen mostly since he joined.

Hes never going to play that role under Dyche and we may as well go for 2 players in the centre with nowhere near his ability...that can run around alot.

I would like to see him replace Partey.

Gana been showing him how it's done Zat.

Gana been showing him how it's done Zat.

Two totally different players.

Gana goes to the ball and runs around alot.

Onana best as the anchor sitting between midfield and defence.

Gana hasnt been good until the last few games...contract about to expire and plays out of his skin for a new one?

I dont know...but I know if we could get a big fee for Onana (and as someone else said i think hes been sold) and replace with Ndidi and perhaps Barkley theres not much choice...

hard one, he’s not been good enough for us, because he’s a player that likes to move the ball around and slow it down. While we like to sit in and spring to attack. But because he’s not been good for us, we can’t expect much more than we paid for him, can we?