2023/24 Amadou Onana

Status
Not open for further replies.
Been thinking about this recently, i like the lad always have, early season i think he kicked on well, but has run out of puff come the end of the season, i feel he's unsettled, i think he likes it here, but often with these young lads, you generally have people around him throwing options at him.

I do go back to the summer we signed him - i dont think he was the type of midfielder we needed, we needed a playmaker, but Lampard decided to cut Doucoure loose from the squad and just bring in some to build over an existing player again wihtot moving them on - i think him and Doucoure are very similar players to have in the squad. In hindsight we should have used the funds on Gibbs White that would have given us a different dimension.

Interestingly the Onana and Doucoure situation gives us an idea of how much power a manager wilds at Everton with the DOF. Lampard clearly was allowed to discard Doucoure and spend 30mill+ on Onana. 6 Months later Doucoure becomes key with Dyche, 6 months after that he has a new contract. Thelwel is obviously very influenced by his managers.
Onana is streets ahead of doucoure as a footballer, the guy is a starter for Belgium at 22. Lampard wanted to play football and realised he wasn’t doing that with doucoure. Doucoure has been poor since coming from injury, but dyche will pick him every week and next season no matter his form he will be our trampoline shins number 10 all next season

Onana is streets ahead of doucoure as a footballer, the guy is a starter for Belgium at 22. Lampard wanted to play football and realised he wasn’t doing that with doucoure. Doucoure has been poor since coming from injury, but dyche will pick him every week and next season no matter his form he will be our trampoline shins number 10 all next season
Thing is though even as a better footballer he doesn't influence games. Doucoure even with his obvious limitations puts in the sort of shift that Dyche sees as vital and he pops up with crucial goals.

If it comes down to selling Onana or Brainthwaite it’s Onana all day long. I’m sure there’s a great player in there but he just isn’t consistent enough for us to hold onto him and wait for him to become consistent. Bainthwaite is top class and shows that week in and week out and he will be a big miss if we sell him. I’m sure we will end up letting both go due to needing the cash

onana doesn’t do enough for what we need

sell if we
have to

Thing is though even as a better footballer he doesn't influence games. Doucoure even with his obvious limitations puts in the sort of shift that Dyche sees as vital and he pops up with crucial goals.
Because dyche plays him off the striker, as a centre mid doucoure got 4 goals in 70 games. Onana has 3 in 60. And any centre mid is wasted under dyche, because we usually have 35% possession and the ball goes over thier heads

Lost me at Lampard wanted to play football.

It was a poor decision based, on the fact we could have dropped 30 odd million on a playmaker we needed and still need rather then build a layer on top of another 8. The mo ey would have been better spent on someone like MGW.

As for Doucoure, sure we know his limits, I don’t know why people will him to be something he’s not, but since coming back into the team he was our most influential player, he wrote his own history. Even now those who understand game, see what he brings to the team and system when he’s bang out of form, he’s clearly been rushed back to quickly and not playing at 100%.

I don’t know why people dumb down every argument to opposing forces, sure Onana is a good player who kick on, sure Doucoure has hugely influenced the club forwards - both things exist - doesn’t mean we needed both compared to a playmaker in the summer of 22.

In fact I’d swap one for a playmaker this summer, prob Onana to be fair, the lad has an eye on a move eventually.

Lost me at Lampard wanted to play football.

It was a poor decision based, on the fact we could have dropped 30 odd million on a playmaker we needed and still need rather then build a layer on top of another 8. The mo ey would have been better spent on someone like MGW.

As for Doucoure, sure we know his limits, I don’t know why people will him to be something he’s not, but since coming back into the team he was our most influential player, he wrote his own history. Even now those who understand game, see what he brings to the team and system when he’s bang out of form, he’s clearly been rushed back to quickly and not playing at 100%.

I don’t know why people dumb down every argument to opposing forces, sure Onana is a good player who kick on, sure Doucoure has hugely influenced the club forwards - both things exist - doesn’t mean we needed both compared to a playmaker in the summer of 22.

In fact I’d swap one for a playmaker this summer, prob Onana to be fair, the lad has an eye on a move eventually.
You called them similar players, there not. No need for the long post

Because dyche plays him off the striker, as a centre mid doucoure got 4 goals in 70 games. Onana has 3 in 60. And any centre mid is wasted under dyche, because we usually have 35% possession and the ball goes over thier heads
But I stand by the point that Doucoure fits the system Dyche will continue with. Onana has long term potential but unfortunately we don't have the time to let him develop. If we can make a good profit it's the best for both parties.

You called them similar players, there not. No need for the long post

No two players are the same, but they are more similar then say Pickford and Onana.

And both more similar to the squad than say MGW, which is the point I made, what was more useful to the squad at the time, two 8s or a playmaker,

It’s fairly simple.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back