2023/24 Amadou Onana

No two players are the same, but they are more similar then say Pickford and Onana.

And both more similar to the squad than say MGW, which is the point I made, what was more useful to the squad at the time, two 8s or a playmaker,

It’s fairly simple.

Well Doucoure plays in the 10 role.

Onana should be used as a 6.

MGW is a 10.

Spot the odd one out

Well Doucoure plays in the 10 role.

Onana should be used as a 6.

MGW is a 10.

Spot the odd one out

No mate, Doucoure plays as an 8 and half who supports the striker, Onana isnt a 6, both are box to box athletic midfielders, both more Essien then a Makelele or Zola.

MGW, doesnt play 10 for Forest, he can but plays deeper, always has at other clubs as well.

No mate, Doucoure plays as an 8 and half who supports the striker, Onana isnt a 6, both are box to box athletic midfielders, both more Essien then a Makelele or Zola.

MGW, doesnt play 10 for Forest, he can but plays deeper, always has at other clubs as well.

Have you just made that up...8 and a half?

Never heard that term in my life.

Onana is never a box to box midfielder lol

Have you just made that up...8 and a half?

Never heard that term in my life.

Onana is never a box to box midfielder lol

Never watch Tim Cahill, we used to use all the time for him on here, an 8 and half sits in centre midfield usually to make a 3/5 and moves into the ten role to support the striker in attacking phases. As opposed to a conventional 10 like a Zola. It’s as arbitrary as calling someone a 6 or 8.

Disagree completely, I was actually surprised when you said 6.

Never watch Tim Cahill, we used to use all the time for him on here, an 8 and half sits in centre midfield usually to make a 3/5 and moves into the ten role to support the striker in attacking phases. As opposed to a conventional 10 like a Zola. It’s as arbitrary as calling someone a 6 or 8.

Disagree completely, I was actually surprised when you said 6.

Cahill played the 10 role in a similar manner to Doucoure. In terms of the energy, pressing and tracking back etc. He was a 2nd striker / number 10.

Onana is and should be used as a 6. Hes clearly best as a midfield anchor.

Cahill played the 10 role in a similar manner to Doucoure. In terms of the energy, pressing and tracking back etc. He was a 2nd striker / number 10.

Onana is and should be used as a 6. Hes clearly best as a midfield anchor.

Yep, disagree with all that mate. Cahill dropped back to central midfield without possession to make a 3 or a 5, as Doucoure does an 8 and half as opposed to a 10. While arriving late in the box, without each being a conventional 10.

Also disagree on Onana, he’s nt a sitting midfielder, he’s farmors like Essien or Vierea then say Makelle, his goal out put is actually fairly good. If you look it at it it’s actually Garner who’s often our deepest midfielder, if he plays with Onana. He can defend to for sure box - box.

Sure he may play deeper with Belgium, but you aren’t asking KDB to hold a trench.

Think your doing him a disservice just calling him a 6, he has a broad skill set and can support many lines.

Yep, disagree with all that mate. Cahill dropped back to central midfield without possession to make a 3 or a 5, as Doucoure does an 8 and half as opposed to a 10. While arriving late in the box, without each being a conventional 10.

Also disagree on Onana, he’s nt a sitting midfielder, he’s farmors like Essien or Vierea then say Makelle, his goal out put is actually fairly good. If you look it at it it’s actually Garner who’s often our deepest midfielder, if he plays with Onana. He can defend to for sure box - box.

Sure he may play deeper with Belgium, but you aren’t asking KDB to hold a trench.

Think your doing him a disservice just calling him a 6, he has a broad skill set and can support many lines.

Players can move into different positions in defensive transition. Cahill/Doucoure in the 10 with the ball doesnt make them an 8.5 or another random number as they drop deeper without the ball lol

Onana is not anything close to Vieira who was box to box.

Essien was best as a defensive midfielder so in that respect hes similar to Onana.

Makelele role would suit Onana far more than this stupid Dyche hybrid role hes been given.

Players can move into different positions in defensive transition. Cahill/Doucoure in the 10 with the ball doesnt make them an 8.5 or another random number as they drop deeper without the ball lol

Onana is not anything close to Vieira who was box to box.

Essien was best as a defensive midfielder so in that respect hes similar to Onana.

Makelele role would suit Onana far more than this stupid Dyche hybrid role hes been given.

Agree with none of that mate! ;)

I do like when people post % of duels won as a sign of how good a player is. Awful stat. What about the duels a player didn’t enter because he wasn’t where he should be, or thought he’d lose or get a slight kick.

It’s like if you go for a single aerial challenge and win it….. bang. Top of European football for aerial duels won % despite bottling 15 other attempts and waiting for the second ball.

I do like when people post % of duels won as a sign of how good a player is. Awful stat. What about the duels a player didn’t enter because he wasn’t where he should be, or thought he’d lose or get a slight kick.

It’s like if you go for a single aerial challenge and win it….. bang. Top of European football for aerial duels won % despite bottling 15 other attempts and waiting for the second ball.
One could argue the very best players don't get into duels because they've anticipated the play or not lost the ball needing a tackle to get it back.

Oh dear...

https://www.[Publication is blackli...with-best-defensive-figures-in-europe-4623878

Edit: Liverpool World article on newsnow. Blacklksted here :eek: