2023/24 Amadou Onana

What was most annoying was how comfortable Rodri looked. I know he’s a good player but at what point does anyone in the midfield leave one on him to try and knock him out his rhythm? We just let him dictate the whole game. I can’t help but feel a Lee Carsley or Tim Cahill would have left him in a heap early doors or just niggled him to the point he got frustrated. It was just too easy for him.
Unfortunately that is what Rodri does - eg dictate games. City also dont mind a bit of rough play aswell, they can give as much as they get. Rodri has dictated games against much better teams than us. Last night felt like a game too many for some of the players, it was frustating at times just because the little we saw of the ball we were quite wasteful, poor passes and decisions.
The next games should be more competitive.

What was most annoying was how comfortable Rodri looked. I know he’s a good player but at what point does anyone in the midfield leave one on him to try and knock him out his rhythm? We just let him dictate the whole game. I can’t help but feel a Lee Carsley or Tim Cahill would have left him in a heap early doors or just niggled him to the point he got frustrated. It was just too easy for him.

Rodi is probably one of the best in the league at dictating the game. I was hoping he wasn't fit for the game last night. He is an excellent player.

I find he can be slow to react when be receiving the ball sometimes and loses out to the opposition players and also needs to be more careful with the ball but an improvement from last season which not hard tbf.

He's one of the best midfielders in the world. When he's missing City struggle. I was gutted when I saw he'd recovered from his injury, we would have had a real chance if he'd been out.

He's one of the best midfielders in the world. When he's missing City struggle. I was gutted when I saw he'd recovered from his injury, we would have had a real chance if he'd been out.

He’s very good but we’ve played against top midfielders before and come out on top. Maybe it was just tiredness from so many games but Onana had a break through injury so it was disappointing to see Garner seemingly running harder to get close to people and close space whilst Onana couldn’t seem to get a leg in on Rodri all game.

It might have called for some rotational fouling but we quite simply can’t allow one of the best DMs in the world to just stroll around picking his passes last night completely unbothered, he wasn’t even rushed for most of the second half. When we rushed him in the first half mistakes happened. Perhaps it was the absence of Doucoure but it felt to me like it was back to the bad old days of Benitez Lampard watching Gomes and Onana just being completely bypassed and walking around.

The contrast between him and Rodri was stark and illustrated why he will struggle to make an impact at an elite club.

Simply put he is too casual and lacks intensity.

If it's true that Arsenal are prepared to pay £60 million then take it in January and buy to cover 2 or 3 positions.
Personally, this is my biggest bug bear when it comes to Onana. A little more intensity and less nonchalance, and I think he could be a really, really good player.

He certainly has the attributes, but his application doesn't always match up with that. I don't think he had a terrible game (twas okay), but there's more to him.

That's what is frustrating the most about the lad. Are we better for having him? Yes. Is he better than last year? Again, yes. But, he could do more is my point.

There’s a touch of the Michael Keanes about him at the moment: preposterous missed penalty to win the cup tie, and now conceding a penalty to cost us last night. To rub salt in, Alvarez showed him how to do it.

Anything that can go wrong does go wrong. Needs to step up now.

There’s a touch of the Michael Keanes about him at the moment: preposterous missed penalty to win the cup tie, and now conceding a penalty to cost us last night. To rub salt in, Alvarez showed him how to do it.

Anything that can go wrong does go wrong. Needs to step up now.

I think that's a very harsh criticism mate. He threw himself in front of the shot to (successfully) block the ball. It's not his fault a nonsense penalty was given as a result.

I think that's a very harsh criticism mate. He threw himself in front of the shot to (successfully) block the ball. It's not his fault a nonsense penalty was given as a result.
That is part of the problem there though. If people are picking up their men properly then there is no space to get that shot off in the first place. Making last ditch tackles like that is a huge risk especially when in the box like that.

That is part of the problem there though. If people are picking up their men properly then there is no space to get that shot off in the first place. Making last ditch tackles like that is a huge risk especially when in the box like that.

That's very over simplistic, especially when you consider who we were playing. It's impossible to man mark everyone all the time, no matter the situation. Blocks like that are made multiple times every week.

I'm not sure I could disagree with this more. Both Rodri and Walker were rattled last night. I mean, Rodri coughed up the ball for the goal, certainly didn't look comfortable then. Our press was especially effective against both.

Did he see a lot of the ball? Sure, but that's down to how we play when we're back in our shape.

That's very over simplistic, especially when you consider who we were playing. It's impossible to man mark everyone all the time, no matter the situation. Blocks like that are made multiple times every week.
Not at all, Dyche prides himself on his teams defensive organization and at the end of the day we can't pick our opponents we simply have to learn to play against the better teams, did fine against Spurs and fine in the first half yesterday. We just didn't wake up and respond after City changed things in the second half.