2023/24 Amadou Onana

I thought he was alright tbh without being spectacular.

I think a good comparison is Bruno for Newcastle last night. Looked to grab the game by the scruff at every opportunity whereas Onana was happier to just take part.
They are different players like that though its not Onana's fault that we spent a massive chunk of our budget on a player who doesn't have the attributes we most need or most suit the team.

Hardly different role. Both sit deep in midfield and try to mop the ball up and bring it forward.

One does is a lot better. But it’s not completely Onana’s fault, the tactics are pony.
They're not hardly different - Onana's role is to get the ball back and recycle more than anything, Bruno aims to go higher up the pitch and is much more creative, but as you said - the players ahead of that little RAT actually move their legs and look for the ball, whereas we don't and we just hoof for days.

Garner is closer to Bruno as a role when we used to play football - try to play it positively. We only did that for about 4 games though, so it was rather shortlived, and he also gets the same "he's crap" shouts as we just bypass the midfield.

There were passing maps from the last few games and one of the most played passes was from Pickford to the striker for gods sake lol

Thing is for Belgium, and for whoever he plays for next, he can do the things he does really well without any burden of creativity, because they have players who can do that. He takes the defensive burden off them, they take the creative burden off him. That’s how a balanced team should work.

Sticking him in with Doucoure and Gana has no balance, they’ll work hard but they aren’t any better than him creatively. For all his flaws physically Gomes is probably the only option to balance the midfield. Yes, he can be a bit of a luxury, but Gana and Onana are the players that allow you to afford that luxury. Playing three midfielders with very little creativity between them makes all of them look worse.
That’s a very logical way of looking at it. Doucoure has scored some important goals this season but he isn’t a number 10. Likewise neither is Gomes, his ball retention is good and he has vision to pick a pass but he lacks mobility. Harrison would probably be most suited to the role but we haven’t got a perfect fit for that role. The major problem for me isn’t just the chances been missed. It’s the use of the ball when we turn it over which on our better performance we have done effectively. The other week against United we should have created far better chance with the position we found ourselves in. A better quality attack would have put them to the sword. We have probably dropped 20 points on that metric alone. That then puts extra pressure on the defensive line because we are not making the most of our attacking opportunities.

That’s a very logical way of looking at it. Doucoure has scored some important goals this season but he isn’t a number 10. Likewise neither is Gomes, his ball retention is good and he has vision to pick a pass but he lacks mobility. Harrison would probably be most suited to the role but we haven’t got a perfect fit for that role. The major problem for me isn’t just the chances been missed. It’s the use of the ball when we turn it over which on our better performance we have done effectively. The other week against United we should have created far better chance with the position we found ourselves in. A better quality attack would have put them to the sword. We have probably dropped 20 points on that metric alone. That then puts extra pressure on the defensive line because we are not making the most of our attacking opportunities.
Yeah I saw a few times last night in the second half when we counter attacked, a good pass would have set someone away. Although having slugs up top also causes and issue lol

Yeah I saw a few times last night in the second half when we counter attacked, a good pass would have set someone away. Although having slugs up top also causes and issue lol
Good pass. Not just Onana but there was a spell when we literally couldn't pass to feet over five yards. Abysmal. One time looked like we could break on them and we contrived to give them the ball straight back on the counter counter. It's like anti football. Horrific.

Good pass. Not just Onana but there was a spell when we literally couldn't pass to feet over five yards. Abysmal. One time looked like we could break on them and we contrived to give them the ball straight back on the counter counter. It's like anti football. Horrific.
It’s dire for sure. You just know for sure when we have players breaking there’s going to be a misplaced pass or McNeill will get it and stop, turn around 360 degrees on his left foot and then pass it 45 yards backwards.

It’s dire for sure. You just know for sure when we have players breaking there’s going to be a misplaced pass or McNeill will get it and stop, turn around 360 degrees on his left foot and then pass it 45 yards backwards.
Backwards I can get on board with if it moves the oppo around. This passage I was referring to was like under 5s. Literally no football IQ. I'm enraged now just thinking about it.

Short memory there mate...
Yeah, he's not too far wrong though is he? He is marginally better than Benitez and Lampard and pretty much on a par with Walker. In fact he is very little Walker, Walker was arrogant and believed he knew better than everyone else and that if he just kept doing the same thing, it would be ok in the end.