An Entire Team Of 30 Plus Players

Status
Not open for further replies.
Giving Osman, Hibbert and Distin extended deals was beyond stupid. I can only put it down to first season euphoria and the impulse to keep almost everything the way it was so as not to upset the applecart.

A bolder manager makes the big decision at that moment, cuts them loose and moves on. Martinez seemed to want to cover himself with a security blanket of old stagers who would ensure stability for him.

I know yeah, who wants stability.

Edit:
None of those three are difficult to replace. None. They prove it each time they get on the pitch. Loan deals and bringing in and out of the side lads like Garbutt and Browning would have been a big upgrade on them

Go on then, the three replacements would/should have been....?

Go on then, the three replacements would/should have been....?
Cleverley and Ben Arfa would have been better than Osman; Alderweireld would have been a better option than Distin at the centre of defence; and someone like Bardsley (who can play both sides and get forward and defend) could have filled in at FB.

All loans/frees and all better options than the three named and still with us.

Robles
Coleman, Stones, Browning Garbutt
McCarthy, Besic
Barkley,
Miralles, Oviedo
Lukaku.

Very worrying when you realise how many of our team haven't passed this age. I was hoping average squad age was gonna go up not come down.

Robles though?!

Put a kid in nets.

Cleverley and Ben Arfa would have been better than Osman; Alderweireld would have been a better option than Distin at the centre of defence; and someone like Bardsley (who can play both sides and get forward and defend) could have filled in at FB.

So you're saying we should have paid over the odds for Cleverley Dave?

*shakes head*

No way to run a club. :coffee:

So you're saying we should have paid over the odds for Cleverley Dave?

*shakes head*

No way to run a club. :coffee:
He was on a free to Villa. I'm sure he'd have been persuaded to come here for 6 months rather than Villa to try and get a contract. Nothing on Ben Arfa though, so I'll assume that passes?

He was on a free to Villa. I'm sure he'd have been persuaded to come here for 6 months rather than Villa to try and get a contract. Nothing on Ben Arfa though, so I'll assume that passes?

Really Dave. You're so out of touch when it comes to whats happening.

United felt we hadn't offered enough for a player that only had 6 months on his contract.

They must think we're idiots (or you do).

He went out on loan. He's not officially permanently moved to Villa.

If he's worse than Osman he must be.

...and Cleverly as a loan deal?

The Cleverly one is odd mate. I don't really rate him nor see where we'd fit him in. Osman has scored for Everton this season. Doubt Clevs would have. Having said that it's sodding nailed that Cleverley will be at Everton next year so why not do it early for not much extra cost? So I half agree there.

Ben Arfa can't even get into that Hull team. Osman would walk into it.

I still think the bigger issue facing Martinez is not how to replace the older players, but how to bridge the gap from the older players to our promising youngsters. There's no question the club could use an infusion of players in their prime, but you don't want to create more situations like the one we find ourselves in with Luke Garbutt.

For the purposes of my reply?

Yes.

In real life?

No chance.

The rest of the side are decent though lol

[QUOTE="JustOpp, post: 3209703, member: 11473"]I still think the bigger issue facing Martinez is not how to replace the older players, but how to bridge the gap from the older players to our promising youngsters. There's no question the club could use an infusion of players in their prime, but you don't want to create more situations like the one we find ourselves in with Luke Garbutt.[/QUOTE]

Effectively the same thing.

Well two players in to oust Osman seems a little churlish. Alderweireld was untried in the PL and so is considered a risk at the time at least (hasn't played an awful lot for Southampton so far either 10 apps so far all comps) & Bardsley wanted to stay North East and rub someone at Sunderlands nose in it.
You see every new signing, fee or free comes at a risk, thats par for the course, how much time would these back up players have had to get acclimatised to our squad, life in the northwest and get fit and ready to our style of play.

Seems you don't just want you cake and eat it too, but you want to own the bakery as well.

On top of which, the glossing over of buying a Moyes type 'utility player' is just a massive pish take.

Status
Not open for further replies.