2021/22 Andre Gomes

Status
Not open for further replies.
In theory, those 3 are a well balanced midfield. It rarely looked that way last season but maybe Benitez can make it work.

We’ve always looked best when they’ve been the 3 in there, our good star to last season was with that midfield 3 aswell

Weirdly it's easier though to fit in a midfield 3 when one of DCL or Richarlison is missing. And ideally both are fit as much as possible. We will need our squad players to contribute much more this season. Likes of Gomes, Iwobi, Rondon, Holgate, Gbamin etc, and maybe even James occassionally, will all need to play at points of the season. Solid performances from players when they are covering an injury wasn't something we saw under Ancelotti or Silva to be honest.

We’ve always looked best when they’ve been the 3 in there, our good star to last season was with that midfield 3 aswell

The issue came down to injuries and how disciplined Doucs or Allan were. Both tend to go wondering. The minute we end up with a midfield of Davies or the man we won't name and Gomes...is where we come unstuck. This happened a huge chunk of last season.

Gomes always played best with a sitting player and pace around him especially when his confidence isn't shot.

But again, it's why he'll be a good squad player suited to certain games (mainly possession based) rather than always starting.

But for £100k a week, it's not enough.

I agree with some posters, if we play 1 up front then he can defo be utilised as a 3rd man in midfield Allowing Doucs to get forward. But if we play 2 up top then it’s probably better to a formation and team more akin to the one we played at Brighton. I do think you will see more game time from him and he looks slimmer/ sharper and fitter to me. More like the old Gomes that started here. I hope so as he’s had a bit of stick since his injury.

I agree with some posters, if we play 1 up front then he can defo be utilised as a 3rd man in midfield Allowing Doucs to get forward. But if we play 2 up top then it’s probably better to a formation and team more akin to the one we played at Brighton. I do think you will see more game time from him and he looks slimmer/ sharper and fitter to me. More like the old Gomes that started here. I hope so as he’s had a bit of stick since his injury.

I was his biggest fan, but as with Iwobi I'm not going to be sold of these being "new players" due to Rafael. They'll soon revert to type.

However...every time Rafael plays Gomes he's got him further forward and having less responsibility in defence. He looked to be just patrolling in front of Allan (was playing across both sides of the pitch) and knitting midfield together.

Past 2 seasons he's been a sitting midfielder and asked to defend which due to his pace doesn't work.

Bit like people going overboard on Iwobi. When guys are getting brought on after 60/70 minutes the games is more open, there’s more space, it’s easier to play.

Don’t get me wrong, thought Andre looked really good last night but there’s a big difference from coming on after 60 minutes when the game is getting more stretched and then doing that from the very start. Might be he’s just a very good player to bring on last 20/30 and look to use his quality when the game is more open. Can he do it for 90 mins, who knows. Definitely a classy player though.

I was his biggest fan, but as with Iwobi I'm not going to be sold of these being "new players" due to Rafael. They'll soon revert to type.

However...every time Rafael plays Gomes he's got him further forward and having less responsibility in defence. He looked to be just patrolling in front of Allan (was playing across both sides of the pitch) and knitting midfield together.

Past 2 seasons he's been a sitting midfielder and asked to defend which due to his pace doesn't work.
That’s a fair comment, we just have to see with him and Iwobi. I hope they both have great seasons with us and I’m more than happy with their contributions so far this season.?

Status
Not open for further replies.