2023/24 Andre Gomes

He was decent today, as somebody said earlier, it would have been better having him and Doucoure switch positions. Doucoure can't play football, but, can run all day. Gomes can play football, but can't run.
I’d rather have the player who can pass further back and the one who gives it away every time he gets it as far away from our goal as possible myself.

I’d rather have the player who can pass further back and the one who gives it away every time he gets it as far away from our goal as possible myself.
Gomes terrifies me when he is defending and he is also too slow to track a runner. We don't tend try too many clever forward passes out of defence to be fair, our tactics these days are more Pickford gets the ball, he passes it out to Tarkowski who either plays a long diagonal, bypassing the midfield altogether or gives it back to Pickford who hoofs it in the general direction of Calvert Lewin. If he wins it his support is Doucoure who can't play football and more often than not can't control it, or makes a loose pass. I'd rather have the fella who can trap and pass a football playing further forward where he can maybe make a telling pass into the box.

He made a very cynical foul in the first half which was crucial to stopping a breakaway.
Deserved yellow card but exactly what was needed at the time.
We could have used him more today in trying to keep possession but we persisted in kicking it long and giving it back to Burnley.

I thought he did ok despite his known limitations.

Instantly looked like our best player

Simply because he can control the ball

Its crazy how many teams even around us can do this. Yet we have to bring him into the side to even remotely get someone who can control and pass a ball.
When was the last time we had a midfield that looked fine with the ball. Cant be arteta/osman/pienaar time surely.
I hate this midfield.

Its crazy how many teams even around us can do this. Yet we have to bring him into the side to even remotely get someone who can control and pass a ball.
When was the last time we had a midfield that looked fine with the ball. Cant be arteta/osman/pienaar time surely.
I hate this midfield.
James, Bernard, Gylfi

He made a very cynical foul in the first half which was crucial to stopping a breakaway.
Deserved yellow card but exactly what was needed at the time.
We could have used him more today in trying to keep possession but we persisted in kicking it long and giving it back to Burnley.

I thought he did ok despite his known limitations.
He had to make that foul because Garner gave up possession cheaply. Took one for the team.

Gomes terrifies me when he is defending and he is also too slow to track a runner. We don't tend try too many clever forward passes out of defence to be fair, our tactics these days are more Pickford gets the ball, he passes it out to Tarkowski who either plays a long diagonal, bypassing the midfield altogether or gives it back to Pickford who hoofs it in the general direction of Calvert Lewin. If he wins it his support is Doucoure who can't play football and more often than not can't control it, or makes a loose pass. I'd rather have the fella who can trap and pass a football playing further forward where he can maybe make a telling pass into the box.

Could've stopped there, TBH.

He did something which we rarely see which was to take a pass from a defender, turn, and move into attack. So pleasant to have a body in the middle of the park who does that much. Damning by faint praise I know.