2020/21 Anthony Gordon

Status
Not open for further replies.
I respect Carlo, he knows way more than any of us put together, but i don’t understand putting him on the bench and only using him as a time wasting sub or not at all. The kid surely needs to be playing? (1st team or not)

Re your “ don’t understand the reaction to his handling” I think with any group of fans you get outliers who seem to actively dislike us playing young players, outliers who think every young player should play for the first team sooner rather than later, and a group of sensible fans who take a balanced approach. The last group I think contain the silent majority , the first two groups are more likely to contain opinionated people who post regularly. So i think theres often an imbalance in the post we see , particularly if a player is not getting game time and we’re watching a poor team performance, older players underperforming, etc., people get frustrated and unrealistic in their expectations. Fans eh.

I’ve followed Gordon from his stick thin schoolboy days playing for the u18s, I think he’s developing fine , he’s not the eye catching talent of say a Sancho, but he’s being developed into an attacking player who will work hard, track back etc. Though I’m likely to have a moan if he doesn’t get more game time this year. Fortunately Thierry Small is coming along to take over the “ he should be starting in the first team “ mantle for the unrealistic brigade. Fans eh !

My concern is that both Iwobi and Bernard are getting games ahead of him.

Gordon seems to be Richarlison-lite in that they have a few of the same traits in their game.

He'd be a better replacement than the others weve seen (two above + Gomes +Sigurdsson etc)

Just seems quite obvious to me that when Richarlison is out we play Gordon...

My concern is that both Iwobi and Bernard are getting games ahead of him.

Gordon seems to be Richarlison-lite in that they have a few of the same traits in their game.

He'd be a better replacement than the others weve seen (two above + Gomes +Sigurdsson etc)

Just seems quite obvious to me that when Richarlison is out we play Gordon...
Honestly if he keeps the ball and is a consistent threat running at defenders I'd say he's better than Richarlison at those things. I have no idea if he is as we haven't hardly seen him but it just isn't a massive bar with how Richarlison is playing currently.

Now he's not going to bring the same goal threat so that's a loss, but really the last few weeks have shown Richie is far from the complete player to me.

I really do not understand the shouts for Gordon. We all want young players to succeed but TBH if the manager is not playing him then he can't be ready. What I have seen of Gordon hasn't really excited me and he has been a passenger most of the time. Think he is a good distance away from starting and only when he convinces Carlo that he is ready will he play.

Must be doing wonders for the lads confidence seeing cenk and Bernie getting told to get off the bench and play some minutes, ahead of him, every single game!?

If I was flash I would be asking for a loan move in Jan - he needs to be getting some game time.

The handling of the younger players is one thing I don't understand with Carlo - it's just poor management from him imo.

Sure, Gordon might not be the finished article but we're never gonna know how far he can go unless he plays some football, and I would much sooner see him coming off the bench than the cenks, Bernie's and delphs - they have had enough chances and never took them.

I really do not understand the shouts for Gordon. We all want young players to succeed but TBH if the manager is not playing him then he can't be ready. What I have seen of Gordon hasn't really excited me and he has been a passenger most of the time. Think he is a good distance away from starting and only when he convinces Carlo that he is ready will he play.

Thats all fair.

But when the alternatives are Bernard, Iwobi and Tosun the majority of fans will begin to wonder...

Especially after he looked capable of at least being average in his cameos...which is more than can be said of the above three.

I respect Carlo, he knows way more than any of us put together, but i don’t understand putting him on the bench and only using him as a time wasting sub or not at all. The kid surely needs to be playing? (1st team or not)
Agree Gordon and nkounkou should be getting game time.

If it's his attitude that's the problem then that has to change sharpish or regardless of who's manager he'll find himself in Scottish football.
I don’t get this “ it’s/ if his attitude is a problem” that’s said about the likes ofGordon and Nkounkou somehow because they are young and not playing. I’m baffled that people think that one of the most experienced managers in world football can’t handle a 19 year old and a 20 year old and therefore choses against his footballing judgement to not play them.

I don’t get this “ it’s/ if his attitude is a problem” that’s said about the likes ofGordon and Nkounkou somehow because they are young and not playing. I’m baffled that people think that one of the most experienced managers in world football can’t handle a 19 year old and a 20 year old and therefore choses against his footballing judgement to not play them.
I've no idea with regards to his attitude only what you pick up on forums such as this that's why I said if, as for Nkounkou that's the first I've heard anything with regards to his attitude. But it does seem strange that the lad has put in some decent performances and for whatever reason has not had a sniff of a game for weeks.

I've no idea with regards to his attitude only what you pick up on forums such as this that's why I said if, as for Nkounkou that's the first I've heard anything with regards to his attitude. But it does seem strange that the lad has put in some decent performances and for whatever reason has not had a sniff of a game for weeks.
Carlos stubbornness in not playing them will see them leaving. For God's sake Carlo thinks that Tosun is better then both of them... Absolute joke.

Going back to even the season Bernard joined I was frustrated Lookman didn’t get a reasonable chance every time Bernard was fit in spite of it being obvious (to me) that he offered more in spite of his age.. now fast forward and it’s now obvious (to most) that Bernard doesn’t offer anything yet still gets selected in place of Gordon who has done more this season with less time than him..

Tell me I’m wrong but seeing our best young talents given a shot excites fans and keeps us watching in spite of what’s happening to the results ..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back