2020/21 Anthony Gordon

Status
Not open for further replies.
I thought it was a strange game to play him in. Terrible weather and up against a tough team physically. Predictably he struggled, and we improved a lot when Bernard came on. At least it shows Ancelotti hasn't forgotten him
I think people would make an argument that virtually any game was a strange one to throw him in for if he didn’t do well. If it’s unfair to ask him to perform against a team that has lost 17 of their last 19 games and hasn’t kept a clean sheet since July then I think we’d probably struggle to find a suitable game for him.

That was his first, what, 55 minutes of the PL season? You all know what happens when you write players off so flippantly (DCL, Holgate, Godfrey). When we have Digne back and he gets a solid run you’ll see what he can do.
Agreed. He has already shown he can influence games. Needs ten or fifteen here and there to build him up.

I think people would make an argument that virtually any game was a strange one to throw him in for if he didn’t do well. If it’s unfair to ask him to perform against a team that has lost 17 of their last 19 games and hasn’t kept a clean sheet since July then I think we’d probably struggle to find a suitable game for him.

Can't believe people are talking about the weather. Haha.

Might be the first scouser that people ask " can you you do it on a wet windy night at stoke?"

Every game is valuable experience for him but he isn't ready to start in the Premiership every week yet.
I think he may go on loan next season or maybe even in January and he would benefit hugely from playing more regularly.

The Premiership at the highest level is about results, we cannot afford to treat it as a school yard for young players.

I think he’d benefit from a loan spell in a slightly less physical league, didn’t really look strong enough to me, but that’s likely down to his age. Still has serious potential for the future

Could be a decent player in future but he has a lot to learn. You could see it from all previous performances that he possesses snippets of skill but is not even close to being a regular or starter. We all like to see youngsters move up but playing them when they cannot contribute enough is only detrimental to the team.
When a youngster comes in we cannot go OTT when we see 1 or 2 nice peices of skill we have to look at his contribution for the full period of time they are on the pitch. Gordon has been falling short in any appearence he has made but has shown a couple of good moments that will put him in good stead for the future.

Needs a run of games, very tough game last night, as good as Godfrey has been stepping in at lb, Gordon could offer a lot more with a quality full back like Digne to link with.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back