2020/21 Anthony Gordon

Status
Not open for further replies.
Needs a run of games, very tough game last night, as good as Godfrey has been stepping in at lb, Gordon could offer a lot more with a quality full back like Digne to link with.
At second in the league and with serious hopes of a european spot, we can't be giving youngsters a few games to see if they come good.. or not. Maybe if we were destined for another mid table finish, but not now. Needs a loan if anything. On the plus side, Bernard was awesome.

He just didn't look switched on for me, wasn't looking around him for player positions, seemed distracted. Seemed like he wanted to play at his own pace, wasn't looking out for danger when play got turned over, Sheff utd throw ins etc, he was looking at his boot laces instead of play. That's just too dangerous, we can't be risking playing him in a season where we're in with a chance of a decent finish. Loan him out, and hope he returns ready.

...I thought he was too ‘safe’ in the last game. He has quality, he has pace but he was never a threat. When he gets an opportunity he needs to produce, he needs to give us an effective attacking dimension.

...I thought he was too ‘safe’ in the last game. He has quality, he has pace but he was never a threat. When he gets an opportunity he needs to produce, he needs to give us an effective attacking dimension.
Just maybe his lack of game time could be a reason for this. You can either try to hard, almost the impossible on the pitch and give the ball away endlessly or as you said play it safe and have no real impact on the game. He needs either a run of games to get up to match sharpness (which I doubt he’ll get here) or go on loan with the option to recall at anytime. The likes of Derby with new owners under Rooney could be a good option for the lad’s development.

He's a kid. Needs time he was fine against Sheff Utd it wasn't a great game for him and remember there was no full back bombing on past him. Carlo rates him if he started him he will hopefully get dipped in and out.

He's a kid. Needs time he was fine against Sheff Utd it wasn't a great game for him and remember there was no full back bombing on past him. Carlo rates him if he started him he will hopefully get dipped in and out.
He has already shown he can do it. Just rusty. Keep giving him chances.
He will learn from that.

Just maybe his lack of game time could be a reason for this. You can either try to hard, almost the impossible on the pitch and give the ball away endlessly or as you said play it safe and have no real impact on the game. He needs either a run of games to get up to match sharpness (which I doubt he’ll get here) or go on loan with the option to recall at anytime. The likes of Derby with new owners under Rooney could be a good option for the lad’s development.

...fair point about him getting up to speed but I’m not a fan of sending the best youngsters on loan, there’s more chance they’ll go backwards than developing in the right way. If he’s as good as we think, Ancelotti will want to use him.

...fair point about him getting up to speed but I’m not a fan of sending the best youngsters on loan, there’s more chance they’ll go backwards than developing in the right way. If he’s as good as we think, Ancelotti will want to use him.
Yep, we’ve had mixed results with our loans over the years. If the player is good but can’t get into a team because of more experienced players it works e.g. Chelsea with Mount, Abrahams, but equally they’ve had a few whos loaned didn’t work too, as players weren’t good enough . If Tosun goes on loan in January then logic suggests Richarlison will be back up for DCl ,with Bernard/ Gordon covering Richy . So a good chance Gordon will be needed on the bench for matches, training with the squad.
He clearly hasn’t developed enough yet to be pushing out Richarlison or Iwobi but good enough to keep around the first team for the rest of the season.

Jack Harrison as well technically
Have you seen his career so far, youth player at Man U and Liverpool, played for New York City then joined Man City and loaned out To Leeds (still a Man City player at 24/25) he needs a permanent move and it wouldn’t be so bad if we came in for him

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back