2021/22 Anthony Gordon

Status
Not open for further replies.
People who don't rate him, football isn't for you
He was worse than iwobis worst game ever was. Good runner and fighter but he needs to work on his finishing and delivery with crosses and corners. That and his judgement when to fight and when not. Debruyne he is not.

Same as Gray at the moment, can use pace to get into good positions but decisions/final ball need to dramatically improve - knows that himself. Gordon is 4/5 years younger though and has shown big up curve in his first proper season in the first team. Worth persevering with next season…Gray less so.

His ability to jink past one or two players and open up the play is a real and valuable asset.

If only he would pass at that point instead of predictably trying to do it all himself he would be twice the player. And he seems to have a particular problem with passing to Myko.

Later in the game when he was hustling the ball on he created plenty of chances - needs to do that a lot more.

I think he was out on his feet. He looked knackered for the last 10 minutes at Leicester
and last night he did not have the energy or zip to create anything. He is still a work in progress
whereas Gray as the senior winger disappoints more.

Maybe DCL gets a recall allowing Richarlison to play wide coz the team will need energy and buzz to beat
a well set-up Brentford.

I know he's a work in progress but that final ball needs some serious work..he has everything but that.

Too many easy passes at the byline don't find a man

Will hopefully kick on next season after a well earned break

Hes scored 4 hasnt he? In his first season, in about half a season, in a terrible team.
This is the type of thing I was talking about though, it can’t be his first season and only half a season. He played a bit of first team football 2 years ago, then a bit more last year, then more again this year. Will next year be his first ‘full’ season and we have to factor that into things aswell?

Again, this genuinely isn’t meant as a criticism of him. He has some real talent and he’s put a proper shift in this season but we have to be honest and say one goal involvement in his last 12 starts is a pretty major reason we are where we are.

This is the type of thing I was talking about though, it can’t be his first season and only half a season. He played a bit of first team football 2 years ago, then a bit more last year, then more again this year. Will next year be his first ‘full’ season and we have to factor that into things aswell?

Again, this genuinely isn’t meant as a criticism of him. He has some real talent and he’s put a proper shift in this season but we have to be honest and say one goal involvement in his last 12 starts is a pretty major reason we are where we are.

I've just mentioned the same in the Richarlison thread. Gray hasn't scored in 15 games, Gordon has scored one I think in 15 games, Richarlison 3 or 4.

That kind of output just isn't good enough which is why o find it crazy that people talk about wanting to hold onto Richarlison St all costs. The fella is probably going to finish finish season with less than 10 goals for the 2nd season in a row, predominantly playing in his so called favourite position.

There's no chemistry between the 3 of them, no relationship or understanding of movement off the ball.

Gordon's done fantastically well this season, as in the amount of games he's played, work rate he's put in etc but his numbers are dreadful for a player who plays in his position. Players at the top end of the pitch need to be scoring +10 with your central striker scoring +15 and all need to be contributing a decent amount of assists.

His end product is a massive concern. 4 goals all season. That's 2 hugely deflected shots against United and Brighton and one where Richarlison hit it off his arse vs Leeds. It seems he needs a massive amount of luck to ever score and is reason why we are where we are. That pearoller back to Foster yesterday summed it up

I've just mentioned the same in the Richarlison thread. Gray hasn't scored in 15 games, Gordon has scored one I think in 15 games, Richarlison 3 or 4.

That kind of output just isn't good enough which is why o find it crazy that people talk about wanting to hold onto Richarlison St all costs. The fella is probably going to finish finish season with less than 10 goals for the 2nd season in a row, predominantly playing in his so called favourite position.

There's no chemistry between the 3 of them, no relationship or understanding of movement off the ball.

Gordon's done fantastically well this season, as in the amount of games he's played, work rate he's put in etc but his numbers are dreadful for a player who plays in his position. Players at the top end of the pitch need to be scoring +10 with your central striker scoring +15 and all need to be contributing a decent amount of assists.
Fair point in an ideal world but just for some perspective he's only 2 goals behind pienaars best return for us. Scored more than Kilbane and Limpar ever did in a season and has been used in a mid 5 as a true winger as well as an inside forward. He's also on Par for DCL's return at the same age. The lad has been exceptional and in an ideal world he would be scoring more but this year the team as a whole haven't been that positive in front of goal. Hopefully if we can avoid the drop then we can look at the other sides of his game and as a team push on and score more but for now I'm happy with his output.

Yes fair point. In any meaningful sense, this is his first season. It's the one hes broken through.

The half season bit, is probably half true, but it's to just give a little context that he didnt start the season in the team. We all know 4 goals isnt enough, but that's an important caveat.

Our forward players havent got enough. Townsend 3 (with 1 pen) Gray 5, Gordon 4, Richarilison has 8 but some are pens. We havent scored enough goals. Its not all on Gordon, but as he looks to improve that is a key area.

I think he will have to do one of 2 things if he wants to kick on. Either add more numbers in front of goal, or drop a little deeper and maintain defensive contribution in a deeper role. He could do either. His defensive contribution is very good currently.

I'd also say, we appear to be reaching that inflection point for some, where he has gone from overhyped, to being slaughtered because he doesnt score every week. Hes not going to, or at least currently shows no propensity for it. Hes a good squad option, and does some things well, and others less so. People would be happier if they accepted that.

Lad has been fantastic for us this season, and has been one of very few bright spots. It’s catching up with him now and he’s looking knackered. It should never have fallen on his shoulders to drag us out of this mess, but he got the ball rolling and has since been joined by Iwobi, Pickford and Rich as the players dragging us out of this mess.

I suspect his final ball would be better if he wasn’t so desperate to drag us out of a relegation battle. Next season he’ll be much better when we’re hopefully in a more comfortable position.

I suspect so too.

The numbers for all our attacking players are very poor. While I think some are a little overrated they're not terrible. But lack of confidence and then a focus on defence dosnt help.

These things are tie in too. If you get DCL an Richarlison right, you probably get more from Gray/Gordon.

There's an argument that he should maybe get a rest on Sunday. It's a tough call though. We want to get the job done before Palace, and you want your best side, but he does look like his tank might be nearly empty.

Status
Not open for further replies.