2021/22 Anthony Gordon

Status
Not open for further replies.
Saw him called slow on here, seen people slag him off for not scoring yet Richy scored 3 more from open play and all that playing his favoured position whereas Gordon was playing on the right.

I bet he scores more than 7 next season.
He definitely will. Great young player. I don’t know what people expect.

That was a breakout season for him. He will be better again next season.

Saw him called slow on here, seen people slag him off for not scoring yet Richy scored 3 more from open play and all that playing his favoured position whereas Gordon was playing on the right.

I bet he scores more than 7 next season.

If people think hes slow, and I appreciate it's a game of opinions, but to me I just cant see that at all.

Wan Bissaka is quick, and Gordon just breezed past him very early on at old Trafford. Did the same to Arnold at Anfield.

The argument for Gordon is how does he start utilising his speed more, to make more decisive contributions.

??????????????

Just so I’ve got this right. Gordon doesn’t pass your eye test and is shocking, slow and has no end product but you wouldn’t be looking to sell this league one standard player for any less than £45-50m
mate?……………….
beyond parody you are, fella. Can you and the big lizard do a football podcast please???

Hold on... you're "quoting" posts from a year ago before Gordons performances improved. So If I quoted your opinions on Iwobi before the 2nd half of last season I'll no doubt find you complimentary of his work rate????

Go boil yer heed man. ?‍♂️

If we got 100 million for Gordon and richarlison that would be the best bit of business we have done in 5 years. 80 million for richy is perfect and 20 million for Gordon who currently isnt good enough but has potential to be but also has potential to not be.

The only thing we should try is to try and make that 100 million all up front
£100M for Richie and Gordon, grab it and put them in a room and lock it until they sign the contracts that takes them to Spurs, £100M all up front as you say: £55M for Richie and £45M for Anthony YIS !!

If people think hes slow, and I appreciate it's a game of opinions, but to me I just cant see that at all.

Wan Bissaka is quick, and Gordon just breezed past him very early on at old Trafford. Did the same to Arnold at Anfield.

The argument for Gordon is how does he start utilising his speed more, to make more decisive contributions.

Three things he needs to improve on.

Stamina, but in part that develops with age, also in how to pace yourself, the lad goes through an immense amount of workload first 60 and he paces himself better with more of a 'team press' etc you'll see him improve in effectiveness over a full 90.

His assists - part of this is for the majority of games he was playing without any genuine cf (Richy isn't one) and on the whole the team is appalling at players hitting sos e in the box with timed runs - throw a world class top level winger into this team and they'd struggle to put up numbers you'd normally expect. But that aside he needs to be more consistent with delivery.

Goals, 4 first season is an ok amount at his age - but you'd hope he steadily improves on this over the next 2-3 seasons, certainly playing from the right badly hurts him in that regard. On the left cutting in onto his right - I expect he'd double his total, and once he starts scoring the confidence will grow.

In short (kinda) I think he's got the potential to be a very top level player, 'average' players don't have a one season jump in performance at his age and in those circumstances and it suggests a very high ceiling on the lad

Three things he needs to improve on.

Stamina, but in part that develops with age, also in how to pace yourself, the lad goes through an immense amount of workload first 60 and he paces himself better with more of a 'team press' etc you'll see him improve in effectiveness over a full 90.

His assists - part of this is for the majority of games he was playing without any genuine cf (Richy isn't one) and on the whole the team is appalling at players hitting sos e in the box with timed runs - throw a world class top level winger into this team and they'd struggle to put up numbers you'd normally expect. But that aside he needs to be more consistent with delivery.

Goals, 4 first season is an ok amount at his age - but you'd hope he steadily improves on this over the next 2-3 seasons, certainly playing from the right badly hurts him in that regard. On the left cutting in onto his right - I expect he'd double his total, and once he starts scoring the confidence will grow.

In short (kinda) I think he's got the potential to be a very top level player, 'average' players don't have a one season jump in performance at his age and in those circumstances and it suggests a very high ceiling on the lad

He does things that exceptional players do. I'm not saying that makes him an exceptional player, but he had that about him. I went very "long" on him when I first saw him play. I remember him being dropped into the derby, what 2 years back by Ancelotti. He kept Arnold quiet that day (no small feat) and had a couple of moments where he waltsed through their midfield, and ultimately didn't get the pass off. But that ability really struck me. Aside from Gomes, on a good day, we don't have another midfielder who would do that (and we know Gomez is up and down).

As for your areas, I agree with you. I'd group 2 + 3 into the same point really. He needs to start adding numbers. Some of it is about decision making, some of it is about learning to be a bit more composed. I think as he gets more confident playing at this level it will start to come, as he got better at it as the season went on. In his 1st season he here passed up shooting chances, he now takes them on more. He strikes a decent ball so should get more shots off, and needs to learn how to position his body properly when he is in on goal to get definite pens/definite shots on goal.

I think his delivery is ok, but needs to be more consistent, just simplify it down, beat the man and hit an area. Honestly though, for him and Mykolenko, and to a degree Gray having Calvert Lewin back will be enormous. It just allows you to beat the man, and whip a ball in, and Calvert Lewin makes things happen.

I agree on stamina, he does need to get fitter still. He puts unbelievable effort in and was flagging towards the end of the season.

I sort of think he has to work out what he wants to be too mate. He can either go a bit deeper, and honestly be a bit of a Gerrard type player from midfield. He likes a tackle too, and the play can go through him. Or he has to play further forward, and focus on goals/assists and learn to get selfish (in a good way). I'd probably prefer the latter.

He definitely has 7 league goals in him as well. See how easily he goes past people. Its funny when he plays for the under 21's, he scores for fun as well, when he's around better players.

When I read posts like this I realise that some of our supporters not only deserve Championship football they actively yearn for it.
Sad.
Well they can put different prices out, but on paper £45M for Gordon makes it much better for FFP reasons!! Nobody yearns for Championship football you’re the sad one if you think they do!!

If spurs buys Gordon for 40m, they will be paying 25-30m for his potential alone. I like Gordon, but he does not produce anywhere near enough to be that expensive.
I dont want him sold, but 40m, if true, is potentially a good deal for us.

Well they can put different prices out, but on paper £45M for Gordon makes it much better for FFP reasons!! Nobody yearns for Championship football you’re the sad one if you think they do!!
Wishing for or celebrating the departure of our better players is a curious way to support your club.
Still , each to their own I suppose.

If spurs buys Gordon for 40m, they will be paying 25-30m for his potential alone. I like Gordon, but he does not produce anywhere near enough to be that expensive.
I dont want him sold, but 40m, if true, is potentially a good deal for us.
No no no. He must not be sold.

Wishing for or celebrating the departure of our better players is a curious way to support your club.
Still , each to their own I suppose.
I’m not celebrating these players going, in fact I doubt very much if there is any chance of Gordon going seeing how he doesn’t want to go and Spurs wouldn’t be paying that sort of money for him at the moment at the same time £60M is a very good price for Richarlison as long as it is all spent on incoming players,it’s a fact that if we don’t sell we won’t be buying anyone and we desperately need four or five new players in this summer transfer window.

No no no. He must not be sold.
I also hope we keep him, but i would fully understand if the club takes the cash as its pure profit and, based on his performances, he is currently not worth close to the money rumored. If he was 28 and had the same season he just did at 20/21 I think most of us would take the money if anyone offered more than 15m.

But agreed, lets keep him and help him grow into an even better player. His energy and fight was a big factor in our survival this season imo, and that alone is a lot from a young player. He has more fight than most of the squad combined.

Status
Not open for further replies.