2021/22 Anthony Gordon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Another decent game today for the lad which will help build his confidence but let’s not heap too much expectation on the lad too soon and end up ruining him when he has a bad game. He’s not a world beater by any means but I’d take consistently decent at the moment and let him develop without pressure of unrealistic expectation.

Hes developing into a good young player and he'll get even better as he progresses. From events in recent weeks, you can see how much Evertonians he and his family are. Once he gets more experience, he'll be a real asset.

The most pleasing thing is you can see the lad is growing in confidence and believing in himself and the fact he belongs as a regular part of our set up.

Don't get me wrong I'm not saying he's going to be a world beater but he clearly has some degree of quality, and can't knock his attitude - something you sadly can do for a lot of our squad.

It would have likely been too bold a decision but I’d have liked to have Rondon go off when Townsend came on, with Gordon through the middle. He’s not a No9 , but has played in that role for the U23s and used his pace to score goals . He’d have created a different problem for their defence with his movement, creating space for Gray and Townsend .
Having said that , I’m not unhappy with his game time or how he’s developing , when DCL and Richarlison are back and Gray a starter then he may be alternated with Townsend , as long as he gets regular game time he’ll keep improving, he’s got it in him and for once we actually look like we can develop a youngster into a regular PL starter.

He got into goalscoring positions again tonight which is good but he probably should have put one away. Needs to keep working on being more clinical. There was one shot where he properly snatched at it and smashed it way over the bar. Hes far better than that.

He’s got all the talent, great attitude, snide and looks to have a brain too, all he needs is composure and he can be top class.
With time he can calm down one on one and learn when to pass instead of shoot and then he’ll be real quality, much like Gray who is quite a bit older and more experienced and just seems to be clicking on that front now.

Status
Not open for further replies.