2021/22 Anthony Gordon

Status
Not open for further replies.

….links really well with Gray, some terrific interchanges & none better than the first goal.

Criticism; surprises me he doesn’t have goalscorers instinct. A couple of times he hit the target rather than hitting across the keeper as goalscorers do.
Everything he's doing atm shows how much he's progressing , possibly rushing the last part of the goalscoring knack.
But the more confident he gets i can defo see that getting better.
Coming on great this lad.

There were a few writing Mykolenko after half an hour yesterday. And one bad touch by Dobbin was apparently proof that he was never going to be good enough for one poster.

It's embarrassing that some football fans know less about football than me.

The only slight disagreement I have with your post is that I think the vast majority of academy players need time and patience to grow into their first team role.
Actually I agree entirely. There are very few who have the ability to come straight into the first team at 19/20 and make a difference. Above that it is still a struggle. They need time to develop, and that requires patience from manager and fans alike.

Our best route out of our mess is to bring Academy players through. They save us wasting money on squad fillers.

Simms, Dobbin and Onyango need time investing wherever possible to make them first team ready.

Actually I agree entirely. There are very few who have the ability to come straight into the first team at 19/20 and make a difference. Above that it is still a struggle. They need time to develop, and that requires patience from manager and fans alike.

Our best route out of our mess is to bring Academy players through. They save us wasting money on squad fillers.

Simms, Dobbin and Onyango need time investing wherever possible to make them first team ready.

Absolutely. The game-time that has been wasted on Rondon is scandalous.

he'll learn that last bit with games

…mmm, it’s what proper goalscorers do coming through the ranks. They have a picture of the goal without looking up, they know where the keeper is in relation to the posts. They go down a gear when they strike & invariably finish into the side netting.

Gordon will improve but he won’t be prolific. DCL is similar.

He is exciting. On his way to be best product since Rooney for me. I don't wanna be hyperbolic. Its more of the state of our home grown talent has been than anything else.

I'll admit I didn't think he ever had much besides the odd flash, but he has come on leaps and bounds. Looking like a fantastic player and is easily one of our most important players, seems to be involved in everything positive we do. As others have noted his link with Gray is great.

He’s got all the talent, great attitude, snide and looks to have a brain too, all he needs is composure and he can be top class.
With time he can calm down one on one and learn when to pass instead of shoot and then he’ll be real quality, much like Gray who is quite a bit older and more experienced and just seems to be clicking on that front now.

Enjoying that he and Gray are developing a nice little simpatico on the pitch

Really happy for him

He's wanted his chance for a long time

The one thing I'll say for Benitez is that he's given Gordon some reasonable minutes this season for the most part

The question is whether he will continue to do so for the rest of the season

Hopefully he does. I think Gordon has been unlucky that he's played under a few managers who haven't "got" him. At least now he has the performances to stake a claim

Status
Not open for further replies.