2022/23 Anthony Gordon

Status
Not open for further replies.
Everton fans:

"Ffs Everton why can't we be so well run like dat Brighton selling those players brought in for peanuts for mega money? moneyball is the only way these days to progress look at Leicester"

Also Everton fans:

"Ffs Everton why you selling one of our bright young players for? What message does that send to the rest of the football world? I'll tells ya it says to the rest of the world we're selling club with no ambishun"

Never change lads lol

Or....

Maybe...

And I know this is a bit 'out there'

Maybe, just maybe fans can have different opinions.

Imagine that.

Tough one this. He’s got potential but not Barkley/Rooney levels. What business would his sale let us do - the forward options are so short on match winning quality. Gordon, Gray, McNeil, Townsend, Rondon that’s not good enough to keep us up even if we do sign a striker. If selling him means we could bring in a couple of quality players, significantly better than what we have at the moment, might have to sacrificed him.

£40/50 million would be stupid money and would annoy me even more at the money we got for Richarlison.
We had to make a sale that day, and everyone knew Richarlison was headed for the exit. It wasn't a great negotiating position, which was reflected in the price.

Everton fans:

"Ffs Everton why can't we be so well run like dat Brighton selling those players brought in for peanuts for mega money? moneyball is the only way these days to progress look at Leicester"

Also Everton fans:

"Ffs Everton why you selling one of our bright young players for? What message does that send to the rest of the football world? I'll tells ya it says to the rest of the world we're selling club with no ambishun"

Never change lads lol

But who wants to be Brighton.......;)

I think this is blag nonsense, I’m afraid. I can’t see anyone being stupid enough to bid 40 million for Gordon, and I certainly can’t see us turning it down.

Here's the thing, last season not counting penalties we scored 37 goals.

Gordon was directly involved (goal/assist) in 7 of them. We are starved for goals in the team and people slate the lad who was directly involved in 19% of our goals during the season...

That's a very fair point in this, and a big counter to people who say best of a bad bunch. People probably look at that, as a positive not negative. They will look at a lad who came into a team that got less than a point a game (so showed relegation form) and got 4 goals and 2 assists in the league, and as you say 37 goals (as a proportion it would have been lower post him getting in the team as we fell away through no fault of his). Chelsea could cautiously say they get double the goals, so probably double the chances etc. So for Gordon that is already 8 goals and 4 assists. That is already what Havertz got last season.

Gordon is also 2 years younger. He also contributes a lot defensively and can clearly play a pressing game. Hes also on a huge upward trajectory. His goals really came in the 2nd half of last season. So again, extrapolate out, if he gets 4 and 2 over half a season, over a full season it's 8 and 4, and in a side that (cautiously) gets double the goals thats 16 goals and 8 assists. That's without factoring in any further improvement.

I'm going downa bit of a rabbit hole, and on those numbers, he may only play 80% of the games, but they also have European games as well. I can completely see why Chelsea and others would go big on it. Imagine having a 22 year old who was getting 12-15 goals 6-8 assist in a season in the PL. That's a very expensive player.

Don’t get me wrong, I like Gordon, he has great pace and errrr, well not much else I’m afraid atm. He’s played a lot of games now and although it’s early days this season, I just don’t see any improvement in his finishing or decision making. Add in the reputation he’s getting for throwing himself to the ground. If he stays, he has to sort this out immediately.

If Chelsea really are willing to pay anything around £40m, surely there is scope here to get Broja or Gallagher in as part of the deal?

Would be like Everton to sell our best winger for £50m and then spend the doh on utter tosh
Onana's a player and Tarkowski looks to be our best Bosman in ages, so that seems less of a problem than it has in some time. Loan business has been solid, too. Only question mark so far is McNeil.

If he gets sold for mega money then he has done his job and worth watching them years. From our standpoint as fans it's ahead of time that we didn't see him become what he might for another club but at the moment that is all conjecture, he might never and we miss the boat.

If you can bring in 3 decent players that uplift the squad for 1 outgoing then it is usually worth it. If the club believe that is the case they should be free to do so. The question is can the people who handle the recruitment get those right?

He might stay and we've just added hundreds of pages of waffle.

I don't watch and follow the kids sides for the love of the game or because I have any interest in the games or players beyond if anyone is going to play for Everton's first team.

From a financial point of view he's done his job if he is sold but from an emotional investment point of view there's literally no point.

Each to their own and fair play to those who religiously follow the kids sides but there's no reason I can see to get excited about youth players anymore unless you get excited about money.

Status
Not open for further replies.