2022/23 Anthony Gordon

Status
Not open for further replies.
Criticising a first team player’s performances is not hating on them, this exact thing happened with Barkley, fans got very precious whenever anyone critically analysed his performances to the same standard as the other first teamers. Wanted to treat him with kid gloves all the time. Gordon needs to start delivering, especially if he’s starting to believe his own hype after the reported Chelsea interest.
I've been very critical of Gordon since about March mate.

I don't think he's starting to believe his own hype at all, I see no evidence of that on the pitch, because he's played exactly the same, for the most part, as he has done in his entire first-team career with us so far. He does some things well and lacks end product too often. I think he was better today than he has been for a while, probably since the Anfield derby. It's a low bar as he was poor towards the end of last season in terms of his quality, even if he always works tirelessly.

I think we should sell if they match our value and I think we will.

The same applies for all of our attackers, that's the issue.

The best chances all game, to his credit, came from Gray, but one was a set-piece and the other that slug Rondon failed to get anywhere near.

Our other attackers aren't 50m players. They're horrendous and shouldn't be used as a comparison.

A club's valuation of a player does not make them as good as that valuation though.

Did Morgan Gibbs-White come on and play like a player that could one day cost £42.5m?

I think he did well for them btw, but using fees like this is daft.

He's nowhere near a £50m player, we all know that, going off his quality. Doesn't mean we shouldn't get £50m for him though.

He's fast and good at dribbling. That is really all that there is in his game. It is a nice place to start but there is so much work to do that we can't risk being the ones who have to do it.

A club's valuation of a player does not make them as good as that valuation though.

Did Morgan Gibbs-White come on and play like a player that could one day cost £42.5m?

I think he did well for them btw, but using fees like this is daft.

He's nowhere near a £50m player, we all know that, going off his quality. Doesn't mean we shouldn't get £50m for him though.

I thought Gibbs-White had a noticeable impact today. And he actually did create a chance with that spin on the edge of the area and cross that led to Williams’ shot just wide.

He's fast and good at dribbling. That is really all that there is in his game. It is a nice place to start but there is so much work to do that we can't risk being the ones who have to do it.

I mean he's also exceptional at all aspects without the ball.

But 50m is a price we should take, and we have to hope we can recruit well.

Just got home from Goodison due to bloody traffic. If by any chance Chelsea increase there offer Everton would be stupid to turn it down. He may be a local lad and runs around the pitch and quite often rolls around on the turf but he is not a £50m player.

I thought Gibbs-White had a noticeable impact today. And he actually did create a chance with that spin on the edge of the area and cross that led to Williams’ shot just wide.
I think he played well, but he's going to cost them a guaranteed £25m and then £10m in attainable add ons, and then possibly up to £42.5m.

Neither he nor Gordon are worth anywhere near what the respective clubs demanded for them, we know this.

If he was playing like a £50m player should, we'd want £80m for him. That's the market.

I mean he's also exceptional at all aspects without the ball.

But 50m is a price we should take, and we have to hope we can recruit well.
You don't buy attackers based on their defensive work. You can avoid buying them because they don't do enough. But being average is fine if they're good at the important stuff.

I'm not sure that he's going to improve. He's 21 and has most likely been playing football at an advanced level since he was 10 (youth team, under 18, reserves, etc). If he hasn't learnt how to take a free kick, cross a ball, shoot or score in the last 11 odd years then he's unlikely to improve significantly in the next 2-3. How many players that are average-good at 21 become good - great by 24/25? It's a myth, it doesn't happen. We should cash in while we can (as we should have done with DCL).

He's not average at all, he's got innate attributes.
He needs to improve parts of his game, and he will.

It's not a myth.
He's literally only playing at an elite level for one year, in a poor disjointed team.
That team is still in transition but people expect him to be Messi or something, I really don't get it.

It's a simple as this;
Completely unrealistic expectations from arm chair footballers.

Status
Not open for further replies.