Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

2022/23 Anthony Gordon

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do you trust our current front three to make us competitive enough to stay up?
This is where I'm at with it too, I don't trust the club to use the money well, but I know Gordon, gray and Mcneil are not scoring or creating the goals to keep us in the league. So I think it's worth the risk of selling and trying different options. Hopefully the club will surprise us and get the quailty in thats needed.

I wouldn't go that far. Or even close to that far really. He's got talent but he's a long way from the finished article, so if we're being offered what is essentially a finished article price I don't think we really have any choice but to accept.
The reality is we wouldn't even be aware of him if he wasn't playing for us, let alone fantasising over a bid circa 50m to sign him.

His sale is a no-brainer. The challenge now is for the "recruitment" team to spend this money effectively.

Money in the bank doesnt equal success on the pitch you nutter.
Who's said anything about it being in the bank? It will have to be spent on an upgrade. Any semi-competent director of football should be able to put the best part of 50m to good use in upgrading a "promising" player like Gordon to ensure a quicker more immediate impact. The sainted Frank will likely be out of a job by Christmas if he doesn't.

Yours,

A Nutter.

We'll end up with Batshuyi or Janusz as replacements. Don't trust our joke of a board to spend any money we might receive on half decent players. Already spaffed £500m up the wall in 6 years.
We also need some genuine creativity in midfield. Iwobi has improved but he has to produce his recent form over a season and to me he's not a real creative player.
Sorry to be so cynical but the last 30 years have gradually worn me down after 60 years of support.
I'm 70 on deadline day so for God's sake Everton give me some hope that we actually have a plan.
Not too much to ask is it??

….if we don’t bring in 2 effective attackers, including a conventional central striker then I fear we’ll go down. It’s a desperate requirement.

The acquisitions have to be effective. Thelwell is paid lots of money to identify the right players. What we have now isn’t good enough and that includes Gordon.

£60m for Gordon should enable the club to bring in quality needed to keep us safe.
Long story short, you need a goal per game to stay up in this league. You can stay up with fewer, but it is very dicey. You can get relegated on around 40 goals, but it's also rare and you would have to be playing much worse defense than we currently play.

I don't see the current attack producing that. As you say, Gordon isn't good enough to meet our current needs on that front. We returned players who contributed 30 goals last season. Gordon scored four. I doubt many of us would expect him to chip in many more, expect Gray to score another five, or expect Townsend to net another three. Maybe we get a little more from Myko, Patterson and Onana. It's still not enough, unless DCL stays healthy and bangs in a career high.

The sides that aren't on pace for 38 so far are largely among the ones tipped to go down - Forest, Bournemouth, Wolves, and us. Then there's the surprise: West Ham, who still haven't found the back of the net in the league. We're fine except on one thing, and one thing only: scoring goals. If Gordon's transfer fee lets us fix that for the next few years, we should 100% make the sale.

Who's said anything about it being in the bank? It will have to be spent on an upgrade. Any semi-competent director of football should be able to put the best part of 50m to good use in upgrading a "promising" player like Gordon to ensure a quicker more immediate impact. The sainted Frank will likely be out of a job by Christmas if he doesn't.

Yours,

A Nutter.

Ah you assumed we would be competent in spending the money. You're new to this arent you.

Get gone and stay gone you crap little twiglet.

giphy.gif

Ah you assumed we would be competent in spending the money. You're new to this arent you.
I didn't assume anything at all. I said that this player has his price - like any other - and our director of football will now be judged on what he does with the proceeds.

I keep hearing how great this Thelwell fella is, and how Frank is "Super". Well, time to get off the pot, lads.

Can anyone we bring in be worse than having to rely on Rondon? Or whipping crosses in to Gordon to duck out of the way?
And let's face it, our corners have every chance of improving simply by taking them off him, whatever about signing somebody else to take them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back