Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

2022/23 Anthony Gordon

Status
Not open for further replies.
He shouldn't get blamed for that though, he's just the latest in a long line of academy graduates (fans of the club or not) who can't wait to leave as soon as a big club flashes skirt their way - Rooney, Rodwell, Barkley, Gordon and I'm sure there are others who I've missed. It won't change until we become a club that can actually stand on its own two feet.

What the club can do in the meantime is adopt a strictly 'it's just business' approach and start treating these academy lads as if they were any other player. £60m for Gordon is preposterous money and the club should have sent him round there in a cab by now. I dread to think what kind of nauseating PR / BS the club are putting together about this sale to protect their image when in reality the majority of fans don't give a toss and think it's a fantastic deal.

It's this kind of attitude that's allowed Tom Davies to stay here for as long as he has, keeping the likes of Pennington and Broadhead around until their mid-20s, allowing Hibbert to stay here for his entire career and about 18-months after he unofficially retired etc.
It is this kind of attitude that has allowed the club to develop talents like Rooney, Barkley, Rodwell, Gordon and others.
Tom Davies is now an established premiership player who has come through the academy system.

We need to start creating a club where these young players want to stay but it is the nature of football that players want to move for all sorts of reasons.

Why would Sterling or Zinchenko want to leave City ?
Gordon will be advised by his agent that this move will cement his future financially while also improving his international prospects and also his chances of winning silverware.

Everton have got to use this money better than they have used previous windfalls.

Anthony Gordon has some assets that just can't be coached,his natural first touch, his speed off the mark and his blistering acceleration over 20 yards. Having said that he also has lots of shortcomings which can, if he is diligent and clever enough to learn, be coached out of him. He doesn't get his head up enough and has little idea of what is going on around him, he is very selfish and also, although I have seen him strike the ball beautifully and effortlessly, he seems to snatch at shots and most of the time they are shots he should not even be attempting.

Will he realise his potential? Who knows, but, Chelsea are in a much better financial position than we are to take that chance. I can see why they will pay this huge fee for him, it really isn't a massive amount of money to them and bear in mind, even if he doesn't develop the way they hope, he will still be a decent premier league player and they will get a lot of their investment back on him in the loan market. The proposed fee, however, is a massive amount of money to us and, even though I think Gordon will develop into a really good player, I just don't think we can afford to take the gamble.

Amazing but so Everton if we've rejected 60m for Gordon ffs

Wasted 100s of million on wasters over the years trying to replace the genuine class players we had.

Turned down mega money for the one player most people wouldn't be arsed to sell for mega money.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back