Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

2022/23 Anthony Gordon

Status
Not open for further replies.
Without us bringing in as much as other clubs from sponsorship etc, we should be focused on bringing through talent and selling. The problem is we don’t seem to be producing as much talent as we should be.

Without us bringing in as much as other clubs from sponsorship etc, we should be focused on bringing through talent and selling. The problem is we don’t seem to be producing as much talent as we should be.
There's never any guarantee when it comes to growing your own. We've got lucky only a few times in a generation.

Really, we ought to be buying promising players of or around Gordon's age and selling them at 24 or 25.

Maybe Stanley Mills will be the new young homegrown winger in the first team squad. He is playing as impressive as Gordon was when he came through. Hope he starts tonight

For £60m I'll drive him down there .. and pick up the 2 loanees we agreed as part of the deal too

For once we appear to hold some decent cards so I hope the board play their hand well and we get a shed load of cash and 2 of theirs on season long loan (Striker, Attacking midfielder).

Not arsed he's off for the fee we get.

I dont know about anyone else but if it's me and I want to leave. I'd just ask for a transfer rather than indicate you want to go and not ask.

I know it would cost me money but I would feel better knowing I'm not costing the club I love my loyalty money.

For £60m I'll drive him down there .. and pick up the 2 loanees we agreed as part of the deal too

For once we appear to hold some decent cards so I hope the board play their hand well and we get a shed load of cash and 2 of theirs on season long loan (Sticker, Attacking midfielder).
You can only loan one player from the same team, we've already used one of our two allowed domestic loans also.

There's never any guarantee when it comes to growing your own. We've got lucky only a few times in a generation.

Really, we ought to be buying promising players of or around Gordon's age and selling them at 24 or 25.
Agree on that too. But why aren’t we very good at it? You see teams below us in terms of stature buying these player for low prices and then making a killing from them. We just seem a bit crap at that don’t we?

Turned by the money apparently - RAT

He shouldn't get blamed for that though, he's just the latest in a long line of academy graduates (fans of the club or not) who can't wait to leave as soon as a big club flashes skirt their way - Rooney, Rodwell, Barkley, Gordon and I'm sure there are others who I've missed. It won't change until we become a club that can actually stand on its own two feet.

What the club can do in the meantime is adopt a strictly 'it's just business' approach and start treating these academy lads as if they were any other player. £60m for Gordon is preposterous money and the club should have sent him round there in a cab by now. I dread to think what kind of nauseating PR / BS the club are putting together about this sale to protect their image when in reality the majority of fans don't give a toss and think it's a fantastic deal.

It's this kind of attitude that's allowed Tom Davies to stay here for as long as he has, keeping the likes of Pennington and Broadhead around until their mid-20s, allowing Hibbert to stay here for his entire career and about 18-months after he unofficially retired etc.

Agree on that too. But why aren’t we very good at it? You see teams below us in terms of stature buying these player for low prices and then making a killing from them. We just seem a bit crap at that don’t we?
I don't think that approach has been on our radar.

Moshiri wanted to shortcut success by buying established players in their late 20s - and that failed catastrophically.

I'd argue that until recently, many Evertonians weren't in favour of the economic model of buying young and selling players on in their prime, either. That was an approach for lesser clubs.

Hopefully that's now changing. We need to be realistic about where we are, and the route up the table involves profitably selling our best players and reinvesting in emerging talent.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back