2022/23 Anthony Gordon

Status
Not open for further replies.
….probably a bit of a Jeffers, Rodwell situation more than Rooney.

The chances he wastes are usually the chances he creates, that’s why the big boys are interested. I wonder if he’d struggle to settle elsewhere, when you look at how cosmopolitan a youngster like Onana is, Gordon seems a home town boy.

One thing I would add is that I’d be looking after those hamstrings. I often whince when he gets up to full speed, I’m expecting something to pop.

Whatever happens, it’s not so much selling him that’s the issue. We’d miss him but it’s spending the income on players who improve us that is the challenge.

We are dealing with a side who just signed a half decent left back for £63m and are thinking of offering over £70m for Fofana. Why in the world would we accept their opening offer and not see how far they want to go. They've set their own market this transfer window so if they want Gordon then the bidding starts at over £50m.

Tbf those players are both better than Gordon currently.

I agree I would ask for more money but anywhere close to £50 millions and the club would be irresponsible for not selling.

To put into context - even though we sold Richy for £50-60 million the book profit for FFP was only about £30-35 millions and so much of that was to offset previous years losses if you believe the 30th June sale story yet we still spent money on Onana and McNeil.

Gordon being an academy lad would be a full profit on the books which means we could bring in 3 forward players and not be in fear of breaking any rules.

It just has to be done - the lad scored 3 goals last season he isn't Bale or Rooney.

Good

Nowhere near enough late in the window, and they've set their own market this window. And our forward line is dreadful so needs to be a crazy offer to sell him.

He's part of our dreadful forward line. Gordon in a front three with Richy and DCL I can handle. He's a willing runner with a great turn of pace.

As the main man, absolutely not. I've never been more sure we should sell a player than this.

As tempting as the money is we would need to replace him, Richarlison and also bring in an out and out striker. We’ve had since May to plan for the Richarlison replacement and 2nd striker and done nothing. Given the so so business we’ve done so far I don’t trust us to adequately fix the situation.

The report that this Chelsea owner is an absolute clampet when it comes to negotiations should be music to our ears. We could easily fleece £70/£80m out of them

Then reality hits home, we’ll have Bill crying and Moshiri accepting £10m

They've just spent 20m on a kid from Villa who has played 1 senior game

If we're selling, it's 50++++

Plenty of younger players out there that offer something other than just pace and an outlet and can actually use the ball to create the odd chance a game or score the odd goal. Any money offered for him while he still carries this ‘potential’ tag we need to be taking and bring in players that have already shown they can have a greater impact on the game. Itll only take 1-2 more bang average seasons before his stocks fallen and he’s another Kenny/Davies. It might take a move to a club where he doesn’t feel the weight of the club on his shoulders to nurture the talent and him realise his potential, it happens and if that’s the case then so be it. Can Everton afford to wait 1-2 seasons to see if he learns on the job because he’s a local lad - based on current options upfront and last seasons showing. Just because it’s a new season doesn’t mean we aren’t a run of poor results away from the players/fans being suckered into a “here we go again” mentality which will lead to more stagnant showings on the pitch - those poor results are more likely, not a certainty of course, to happen if we don’t improve that front 3 asap and start creating actual chances. I think we’ve all been frustrated enough by Gray and Gordon to suggest they aren’t it.

£40m isn't enough at this stage of the window and with our dreadful (non existent) attacking options. So I would hope we reject that bid out of hand, considering they just paid over £20m more than that for a decent full back.

They need to go to at least £50m for us to sell at this point. But if they come back with that sort of bid then we have little option
Flip side of that is, they may not come back with +£50m at all or perhaps not until right near the transfer deadline when our options might be a lot more limited than they are now; we could be scrambling round for deals last minute with clubs knowing we've got a bit of cash in our pocket (and we all know what happens when this club panics over transfers or jumps into last minute deals).

Status
Not open for further replies.