2022/23 Anthony Gordon

Status
Not open for further replies.
For comparison, Newcastle brought in that Guimares fella for about £30-35m, and he is absolutely superb and has revolutionised their entire side. Gordon is like a Sunday League player compared to him, albeit they play different positions. £40m, anything more, get the deal completed and get reinforcements in.

This thread is just the best.

It`l like a virus that keeps on mutating.

By the end of the day, Chelsea will have offered 120mil.

We`ll counter this and offer a ten year contract of 500k a week wages.

Chelsea will come back in, match his wages, offer us six players and 120mil and even offer to finance the remainder of the new ground for us.

He's a good player, young enough to develop, a good enough football brain to develop (not like Ross), seems a good lad, and will have a really good premiership career. I'd prefer to keep him but £55m+ is a good deal for him the moment and for us in our position. I'd like him to stay but it wont be a Rooney moment if he goes, especially if the money in return is high.

Make no bones about it, despite the club saying externally they’re not considering a sale, Chelsea will come back with an offer that they can’t pass up
The club are doing what any sensible club would do: attempting to extract maximum coin. Even if Chelsea start to get cold feet, it is now out there that Chelsea value Anthony Gordon. That will tickle the sensors of Newcastle and some of the other flush clubs and, potentially, create a bidding war or, at least, the conditions for a bidding war in the next window or two.

Chelsea will come back in, match his wages, offer us six players and 120mil and even offer to finance the remainder of the new ground for us.

Have to get Norton on to it.

And some will still be making an argument for keeping him ?

The question Thelwell and Lampard really need to be asking themselves is:

If you took our current attack, minus Gordon, and had 50m to improve it, would they improve it by spending all 50m on Anthony Gordon?
The question they are most likely asking themselves is:

If I sell Gordon and have no forwards left, but do have 50m quid, how much will I have to pay for someone that may have cost 20m last week?

The message that we'll be able to develop you and offer you a pathway to a CL-winning club that regularly challenges for major honours?
I think that given where we're currently at, that'll definitely help us to attract more young players who are destined for the top (see: Onana).
If we can start to trust those in charge of recruitment to reinvest wisely, then this is by far the most sustainable model to pursue.
That works with imports who have a good couple of years. Not an academy graduate from the city who hasnt even done much for us. It stinks and the players will smell it too.

He's a good player, young enough to develop, a good enough football brain to develop (not like Ross), seems a good lad, and will have a really good premiership career. I'd prefer to keep him but £55m+ is a good deal for him the moment and for us in our position. I'd like him to stay but it wont be a Rooney moment if he goes, especially if the money in return is high.
Truth be told, when you have sold the teenage genius Wayne Rooney, there isn't a player who cannot be wished well once an appropriate fee has been banked. Bye bye Anthony. Fare thee well. Now, where's my database of international strikers...

Status
Not open for further replies.