April 4th 1987 - one of the best fan quips ever

Status
Not open for further replies.

CWP1956

Player Valuation: £100k
We were away at Chelsea. It was also Grand National day.
It was pissing down. In those days the away end was uncovered and we were soaked to the skin.
A few people had radios. As those few relayed how the race was going as it unfolded, answering regular questions on who was winning, a voice pipes up:

"Eh, d'ye reckon the jockeys are going round asking 'So, d'ye know how are Everton doin'?"

We won - 1-2 with Alan Harper blasting a brilliant winner from the edge of the box.

It was pissing down. In those days the away end was uncovered and we were soaked to the skin.
A few people had radios. As those few relayed how the race was going as it unfolded, answering regular questions on who was winning, a voice pipes up:

"Eh, d'ye reckon the jockeys are going round asking 'So, d'ye know how are Everton doin'?"

We won - 1-2 with Alan Harper blasting a brilliant winner from the edge of the box.
Went myself on amberline,for some reason the coaches couldn't take you to the ground and dropped us at a station think it was Kensington.........in them days going to Chelsea was a major thing and not the circus it is now,what dump it was in them days

I remember it well, we packed out the away end in the rain. Back when Stamford Bridge was an utter dump, barely 1/3 full in the home end, miles from the pitch, no roof. The next day the RS lost their League Cup Final vs. Arsenal.
Im sure they lost to Wimbledon that day because we played Arse the folliwing week again in the rain and after the match they were queueing up for final tickets

I had a seat thst day for some reason.

And I had fetched a Walkman with me to listen to the National, which started at 3.45 from memory.

And I had a fiver on Maori Venture which won at 28/1'

Happy days ;)

Last edited:
The next weekend was the Wayne Clark long range lobbed shot to win us the game at Highbury. Happy days. There was a biblical hailstorm that day just before kick off.

Wasn't it the other way round? I think we win at Arsenal the previous Saturday, with Clarke lobbing Lukic in front of thousands of us at the old Clock End.

Mooncat smashing that one in off the underside of he bar (if my memory serves me right) was out of nowhere. I loved him from that moment on.

Wasn't it also the Old Firm Derby the same day? Maori Venture winning the National? I certainly remember sitting in the mini bus all the way back to southport absolutely soaked to the skin!

Im sure they lost to Wimbledon that day because we played Arse the folliwing week again in the rain and after the match they were queueing up for final tickets

As o say, I'm sure we played Arsenal the week before Cjelesa as I remember them queuing for final tickets after the match. The final would have been the day after we won at Chelsea. Arsenal beat them with Charlie Nicholas scoring the winner? After old big nose had scored, too (which might have been he first time ever?)

As o say, I'm sure we played Arsenal the week before Cjelesa as I remember them queuing for final tickets after the match. The final would have been the day after we won at Chelsea. Arsenal beat them with Charlie Nicholas scoring the winner? After old big nose had scored, too (which might have been he first time ever?)
Could be right the reason I remember them queuing for tickets is because at the end of the game everyone coming out went right and we went left coz the coach parked in the wrong place and we had a bit of bother gtg back to it

I had a seat thst day for some reason.

And I had fetched a Walkman with me to listen to the National, which started at 3.45 from memory.

And I had a fiver on Maori Venture which won at 28/1'

Happy days ;)
This is getting spooky mate,I was there and had the exact same bet as you,to this day the only winner in the national I ever backedlol

Status
Not open for further replies.