April 4th 1987 - one of the best fan quips ever

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wonder how many of the 70s ESCLA crew were still going by 1987. Johns Smith and Collings, Pete Leach, Mick Upfield (from Pompey), Andy Kings Dad, The Rev?

Oh they were all still going at that stage.

A lot of them still are.

The two Johns were still going in this century but I gave lost touch with the ESCLA boys in recent years.

Though I think there was split or a fall out between them and ESCLA fractured a bit.

I know The Reverend moved back up north......to somewhere in Lancashire but as far as I know still goes.

I often wonder if @The Reverand who posts on here is the ESCLA Reverend.

Paddy McGrath from Belfast is still going strong.....rarely misses, home or away.

The legendary Cockney John is domiciled in Spain these days.....but gets over a couple times a season.

Eric Moonman used to be on TV a bit in his capacity as some sort of office bearer in the Jewish Council.

Pat Conneely was in the same carriage going home from Villa Park that day but he hasn't been at the match for a decade or so now to my knowledge....he is OK though, someone bumped into him in London and he said he had just stopped going.

Yes, happy days travelling with ESCLA in the 80s and 90s when I lived in London :)

Though sadly, ESCLA stalwarts like Patsy Slevin and dear old Growler are no longer with us.

Oh they were all still going at that stage.

A lot of them still are.

The two Johns were still going in this century but I gave lost touch with the ESCLA boys in recent years.

Though I think there was split or a fall out between them and ESCLA fractured a bit.

I know The Reverend moved back up north......to somewhere in Lancashire but as far as I know still goes.

I often wonder if @The Reverand who posts on here is the ESCLA Reverend.

Paddy McGrath from Belfast is still going strong.....rarely misses, home or away.

The legendary Cockney John is domiciled in Spain these days.....but gets over a couple times a season.

Eric Moonman used to be on TV a bit in his capacity as some sort of office bearer in the Jewish Council.

Pat Conneely was in the same carriage going home from Villa Park that day but he hasn't been at the match for a decade or so now to my knowledge....he is OK though, someone bumped into him in London and he said he had just stopped going.

Yes, happy days travelling with ESCLA in the 80s and 90s when I lived in London :)

Though sadly, ESCLA stalwarts like Patsy Slevin and dear old Growler are no longer with us.

I went regularly 1975-79 and then a bit 1979-82 (was back in Liverpool most of the time). Mick Upfield is on twitter
@mickupfield

I wonder how many of the 70s ESCLA crew were still going by 1987. Johns Smith and Collings, Pete Leach, Mick Upfield (from Pompey), Andy Kings Dad, The Rev?
From my rapidly shrinking memory .. JC, Pete L and the Rev definitely but I did not know the others to say hello to. The Rev was celebrating a birthday of some sort in the Brick recently, either his or someone else in his family/friends group.

Liam Brady said in post match interview that Everton team was the best side he'd ever played against or something to that effect
We also ripped Newcastle to shreds in that same run in. Again they were not that good but it was 90 mins of men versus boys. Wayne Clarke hat trick.

Remember talking after the game that we could win the title at Anfield,not sure if it was possible
Yep had we beaten them at the pit we would have clinched it iirc. Had to be satisfied with sheedy super free kick and him flicking the Vs at the Kop. Don't think we were robbed or anything that day but was not there so a bit uncertain.

Yep had we beaten them at the pit we would have clinched it iirc. Had to be satisfied with sheedy super free kick and him flicking the Vs at the Kop. Don't think we were robbed or anything that day but was not there so a bit uncertain.
I was on the kop,used our kids season ticket while he was away,never saw the V sign as i was preoccupied going mental can't really say we were robbed either.....

In them days we just expected to get nothing there (some things never change)

I was on the kop,used our kids season ticket while he was away,never saw the V sign as i was preoccupied going mental can't really say we were robbed either.....

In them days we just expected to get nothing there (some things never change)
Won in 84-85, 85-86!!!! Just were never going to win the league there!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.