Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Are we going to end up with a pop gun attack?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Going 'for options and depth' in the event of Lukaku going is how I see this panning out. But we need a big signing guaranteed to be able to lead the line and get goals. Doesn't have to be a big bustling CF, just someone who we all know is a totem that the rest of the attacking elements know they have to service or play off.

I distrust the blunted attack line of a 'three attackers'. There's no responsibility taken by any of them...something Lukaku shouldered manfully in the last four seasons, even when he was slightly out of form and off target.

Lukaku is a absolute top slotter mate, but he's also absolutely crap at leading the line as for shouldering responsibility, their all as guilty as each other otherwise we may have actually won a Derby.

Maybe. Think the Chelsea hold up is Conte and his mitherings, tbh.

Dave Chelsea won't sign anyone till July first, they are changing sponsor to Nike then and no way are they buying 85m players to have them pictured in a rival brands kit at the unveiling.

It's the way to go because it's highly doubtful we'll get a player who can replace Rom that will guarantee us 20 goals.

Koeman made this work at S'ton to good effect, and previously at feyenoord.

I'm confident it'll work

Toff. Giroud or Vardy would get 20 for us I bet.

When the RS signed Coutinho and then Firminho I said at the time they would be top players for them, real ball players and after a settling in period they have been really instrumental in getting them up the table from the abyss they were sinking into. Even with an absolute dross defence teams need to be wary of pushing players forward against them.

What I would personally like to see is;
Pickford -- Able to pick out players with pinpoint 'long passes'
A centre back signed who can make Koeman-esque passes into the forward line to mix it up a bit
We've seen Coleman and Kenny (in the u20s) bombing forward now we need someone to take over from Baines on the left
Klaassen being used as a weapon with runs into the box taking defenders away

If we have those above threats from non-forward players then it gives other teams something to think about.

I think the only reason to have a Giroud/Gray type hold up player is to stick them on the bench as a plan b. They aren't top top top players and as @davek rightly states we need top quality to get into the champions league with this type of setup. Man Utd missed out even when being ultra defensive and having the best lump around in a slow Zlatan. you saw the difference when he went out injured.

Personally, I don't see the logic of a Vardy either. Sandro has speed and fantastic movement and if we added 2 more players of his type it creates mayhem as defenders get pulled all over the place. Sandro has top finishing ability as well so a couple more like him (Dembele) and we have 3 targets to aim for when attacking.

I think 'possibly' were looking at Sigurdsson so (if barkley signs) we have a ball player on either flank and then we also have faster direct players like Lookman, Sandro,Bolasie so we can change tactics instantly.

I do wonder who will be the focal point of the attack as if we are going down this type of route then I think we do need a spearhead

Dembele at Celtic has shown he knows where the net is. Is really fast as well so I imagine it would be him or Dolberg if were going to spend big.

You need someone proven at this level mate in addition to young potential.

Giroud would bring other players into the game and klassen sandro etc would benefit, vardy would instantly make us a massive danger away from home or against any team that pushed up. Especially so with pickfords distribution meaning a slow patient build up has a plan b if fast up to the front man.

And then there's your way an overly negative one!

Liverpool cracked the CL last season without a recognised striker for most of the season
Hung on and clung on...and with far better attacking players than we'll muster.

I dont like the system from an aesthetic point of view, but if it were effective I'd have to say it needs looking at. However it needs utter class in all attacking positions plus AMF to make it work, and we wont have that.

Lukaku is a absolute top slotter mate, but he's also absolutely crap at leading the line as for shouldering responsibility, their all as guilty as each other otherwise we may have actually won a Derby.
Leading the line means scoring often + accepting the mantle of team leader.

He has been outstanding in the last few seasons.

Dave Chelsea won't sign anyone till July first, they are changing sponsor to Nike then and no way are they buying 85m players to have them pictured in a rival brands kit at the unveiling.
Wont matter a jot. He'll be wearing their Nike top soon enough.

This coming season.
I cannot imagine if Lukaku goes (which he will) for anywhere near like the quoted price, then I do think we'll replace him with at least 1 striker to lead the line. They may not get Lukaku numbers in terms of goals but it may change the style to bring out the best in players supporting them.

I cannot imagine if Lukaku goes (which he will) for anywhere near like the quoted price, then I do think we'll replace him with at least 1 striker to lead the line. They may not get Lukaku numbers in terms of goals but it may change the style to bring out the best in players supporting them.
Maybe mate.

I just see a few straws in the wind that move in the direction of no out and out attacker.

Maybe mate.

I just see a few straws in the wind that move in the direction of no out and out attacker.
I do think it's a valid point about who within our budget and status, will fill the gap (I'm not sure we necessarily need one striker getting 25+). I would expect, based on the market, that we may look for 2 players to fill the gap who could contribute 15+, which may end up being more valuable over the course of the season. We won't replace lukaku as a like for like, 1 in 2 strikers don't come along often at a price of £30m, so perhaps looking for someone to develop from a less high profile league or changing the style may be the way to go.

I mentioned in the summer transfer thread my concern that with the very likely departure of Lukaku we are faced with an almighty struggle next season to get a striker in to fill the massive chasm he'll leave. So far we have not been linked with the type of marquee signing that we could reasonably believe could come in and take up at least most of the slack in terms of getting on the scoresheet as often as RL has in his time here. Sandro may or may not come in. However, I dont see him as a type that will lead the line in the fashion that we as a club have been used to with our tradition. The existing players we have upfront are unimpressive. For one they cant be adapted to the role of an out and out forward and for another they look pretty limited in what they do in their 'proper job', be that Bolasie and Lookman attacking from out wide or Calvert-Lewin loitering without intent in behind the striker/final third.

Here's my suspicion: I think Koeman will forsake going for a like for like replacement for Lukaku this summer. He looks to me to be thinking of going with a type of attacking unit adopted over the park and adopted elsewhere: a high pressing front three with an advanced MF (probably Klaassens) to augment the attack by making forward runs into the box.

I think this will be madness for us. First, we wont have the class to pull that one off: Lallana/Firmino/Mane + Coutinho are very good quality. That's how they blitzed the PL in the first half of last season and picked up the points that eventually seen them over the CL spot line. Our front 3+1 would be nowhere near that level of quality. Second, we have a lot more games this season and what happened to Liverpool (and what happens to other teams who adopt a manic high press) over the course of the season would come home to roost here too: we'd have a core first team on its knees and/or dropping down with injuries by late winter.

Anyway, that's my thoughts/fears on what I believe this summer's attacking incomings are being prioritised for. Hopefully Koeman goes out and blows that out of the water with a Giroud signing, but I really think we are headed into 2017/18 with a re-shaped and dangerous departure from what we traditionally have gone for before.

Thoughts?

I think all teams including the other lot across the park need some sort of central front man. We dont have that player in the current squad apart from lukaku. When he goes i would expect us to bring in a central front man alright. I dont know enough about sandro to know if he can fill that big role. I still see 1 central player with 3 in behind and 2 holding midfielders for most matches with slight changes in formation with the 3 in behind.. Players like davis might not play every match now. Like all teams it will be necessary to rotate when in europe. We wont be able to start the same rough 11 like we have done for years and be competitive.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back