Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Are we going to end up with a pop gun attack?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Eh?!

Giroud has got 15 or more league goals twice in 5 seasons at Arsenal, and Vardy has got 20 or more once in his entire career in league football. To say they're 'guaranteed' to get you those sorts of goals is pushing it in the extreme.

Giroud has been in and out of the Arsenal side, played as the undisputed first choice he'd score a lot more mate, he's scored at a decent rate as a squad/rotation player who plays for a team that plays completely opposite to his strengths, Vardy - play to his strengths and he will score goals, he'd have comfortably hit those figures if the Leicester side started playing before they got Ranierri the sack

Giroud has been in and out of the Arsenal side, played as the undisputed first choice he'd score a lot more mate, he's scored at a decent rate as a squad/rotation player who plays for a team that plays completely opposite to his strengths, Vardy - play to his strengths and he will score goals, he'd have comfortably hit those figures if the Leicester side started playing before they got Ranierri the sack
I'm not disagreeing that they're good players, just think saying 'guaranteed' to get those goals is a massive stretch. I wouldn't even say Lukaku was guaranteed to get 20 and he's a much better goalscorer than either of them.

Giroud might have been in and out of the side but he was also surrounded by an array of fantastic players. Ozil is the king of assists and he wouldn't get that kind of service here so I think it kind of evens out in terms of his expected return. Add to that the fact that both of them will be 31 by midway through the season and may well be on the decline (particularly Vardy who is almost totally reliant on pace) and I think we'd be asking a lot for them to get those numbers.

Again, not saying that they wouldn't be decent signings, or that they couldn't possibly get 20 goals, just that they would be a long long way from guaranteed in my opinion.

Eh?!

Giroud has got 15 or more league goals twice in 5 seasons at Arsenal, and Vardy has got 20 or more once in his entire career in league football. To say they're 'guaranteed' to get you those sorts of goals is pushing it in the extreme.

Fundemtal to all this discussions is what formation RK is looking to play. The squad is very much work in progress but there will be a very delicate balancing act for to change to much with players new to the league is a huge risk.And yes I know that both Vardy and Giroud aren't new to the league.

Vardy had electric pace and as my neighbor who is an Leicester season ticket holder says he is near enough a one trick pony who unless the right ball is played for him to use that pace, is no more than a very average forward.The irony of that comment for me is that had last seasons midfield been able to play to RL run he probably would have been the golden boot winner. Vardy will be 31 in January. Leicester will want decent money for him my guess north of £30 million is he worth it?

As for Giroud his strengths are when the ball is played out wide and then in. He is 31 in a few weeks. Again Arsenal will want north of £30 million again would he be worth it?

Why should we have a "popgun" attack? We've got a good squad taking shape now with nearly all the deadwood either gone or more than adequately replaced.

I've wanted this exact approach for years, and Lukaku has never fit the bill. So I'm perfectly happy with not going for a like for like Lukaku replacement for a few reasons.

First, it's impossible - Lukaku is the best at what he does in my view. There's no point trying to replace him in that way, as it's a downgrade no matter what you do.

Second, there's a ceiling on what you can achieve playing football the way we do with Lukaku. He could bag 35 goals and we could still finish 6th, because we're incredibly predictable in what we do.

Spot on Tubes. It is the reason our away form is poor. Rom gets isolated away from home and then we are buggered.

To be fair Davek I think we already have a pop gun attack and it only popped when Lukaka was in the mood. I'm not sure we will miss him as much as we think. I also think his lack of movement hss effected Ross Barkley.
I hear you though stay or leave we need more scoring options

I mentioned in the summer transfer thread my concern that with the very likely departure of Lukaku we are faced with an almighty struggle next season to get a striker in to fill the massive chasm he'll leave. So far we have not been linked with the type of marquee signing that we could reasonably believe could come in and take up at least most of the slack in terms of getting on the scoresheet as often as RL has in his time here. Sandro may or may not come in. However, I dont see him as a type that will lead the line in the fashion that we as a club have been used to with our tradition. The existing players we have upfront are unimpressive. For one they cant be adapted to the role of an out and out forward and for another they look pretty limited in what they do in their 'proper job', be that Bolasie and Lookman attacking from out wide or Calvert-Lewin loitering without intent in behind the striker/final third.

Here's my suspicion: I think Koeman will forsake going for a like for like replacement for Lukaku this summer. He looks to me to be thinking of going with a type of attacking unit adopted over the park and adopted elsewhere: a high pressing front three with an advanced MF (probably Klaassens) to augment the attack by making forward runs into the box.

I think this will be madness for us. First, we wont have the class to pull that one off: Lallana/Firmino/Mane + Coutinho are very good quality. That's how they blitzed the PL in the first half of last season and picked up the points that eventually seen them over the CL spot line. Our front 3+1 would be nowhere near that level of quality. Second, we have a lot more games this season and what happened to Liverpool (and what happens to other teams who adopt a manic high press) over the course of the season would come home to roost here too: we'd have a core first team on its knees and/or dropping down with injuries by late winter.

Anyway, that's my thoughts/fears on what I believe this summer's attacking incomings are being prioritised for. Hopefully Koeman goes out and blows that out of the water with a Giroud signing, but I really think we are headed into 2017/18 with a re-shaped and dangerous departure from what we traditionally have gone for before.

Thoughts?
As it stands, I would agree that we don't appear to be linked with that top class centre forward, so you could well be right that Koeman wants to radically change the attacking structure. But each couple of days brings a new rumour (eg Giroud), so I suppose we will have to wait and see what his plans are

We will score goals. We will win games. We will lose games. Sometimes, we won't score goals.

People will complain. Some people will be happy.

But ok, this is football.

We will score goals. We will win games. We will lose games. Sometimes, we won't score goals.

People will complain. Some people will be happy.

But ok, this is football.
Indeed..we are one person, we are two alone, we are three together, we are four...each other..Helplessly Hoping ..Crosby, Stills, and Nash. Sums us up :cool:lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back