Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Are we going to end up with a pop gun attack?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I really don't see the issue with that. One injury to Lukaku would leave us very short, already over reliant, and Lukaku hasn't had an 'injury', yet
That's true, but the solution to that is more simply found than rejigging a whole way of operating a team.

As said, this all may be jumping the gun on the 'going without a spearhead' suspicion and one may well be brought in. But if not the change to the way we do things would be extraordinarily large and risky.

It'd be way more of a change than when Martinez came in and had us playing it on the deck vastly more than under Moyes as we were then merely reacquainting ourselves with our own tradition.

That's true, but the solution to that is more simply found than rejigging a whole way of operating a team.

As said, this all may be jumping the gun on the 'going without a spearhead' suspicion and one may well be brought in. But if not the change to the way we do things would be extraordinarily large and risky.

It'd be way more of a change than when Martinez came in and had us playing it on the deck vastly more than under Moyes as we were then merely reacquainting ourselves with our own tradition.

Your thoughts on Vardy, Dave?

Koeman will not go for a like for like replacement when we sell Lukaku and nor should he.

I like the way we are doing our business this pre season.

@davek

Decent post mate.

and yeah IF Lukaku goes and the sum of ourt business post him in a attacking sense adding Sandro and say Gray then we will be up the creek without a paddle unless Sandro hits the ground running and his development last season continues for example- which honestly we won't know until during the season

But thats the worst case scenario - and actually would be shocking if it was the case scenario given we appear to be trying to add real depth to the squad so far.

The other side is that IF we do sell Lukaku for close to a world record fee, then much like a few other clubs around the world have done (Athletico for starters for the past 10 years or so) we will be a very very attractive step for any ambitious striker,they will see what happened with Lukaku at this team - going from a reject who was loaned out to West Brom to a player who walks in for a massive fee to a top CL level team.

IF he does go my estaimate would be that we would add a proven experienced player in this league - the likes of a Giroud, Vardy type.

and we would add another younger striker with a massive potential to him, be that Dembele, Dolberg, Batshuayi, Iheanacho or another from the continent probably using about 45-50m to do both pieces of business, we'd then add another wide forward type (like mane was) be that Berardi or Balde etc for an additional part of the Lukaku funds - which i think we will add that type anyway btw)

So add proven goals with one signing, the massive potential offinding the next Lukaku with a proportion and to give us depth we've lacked for years there, and to add another pacey goal scorer who can play across the front three.
That sounds like a wise strategy. Do I believe it will be rolled out? No.

I really dont see us in the hunt for that 'experienced player in this league' you underline as being necessary. The other type of forward - the ones that play off them - I'd say are in the pipeline. Sandro fits that mould to me. If we get him for £5M thats good business. However, I think the rest of the Lukaku cash is spoken for and in positions not related to up front.

It would be a big mistake to see our spending thus far as the beginning of our ambitions this summer. IMO the window is going to close soon on what we spend up front. One more in beside Sandro IMO. It better be a top player that can lead the line or we'll be faced with that pop gun attack I mentioned.

We have to wait and see what our attack will look like before we decide how good or bad it will be.

I believe that we have already signed Sandro and he brings something very different to us based on what I have seen at the under 21s.
Andre Gray seems to be under consideration and I do believe that we will sign a strong powerful centre forward in the mould of Pelle at Southampton.

The team will be set up differently and I think as many or more goals will be scored but spread more evenly throughout.

I think this will happen even if no deal is agreed to sell Lukaku. I don't think he will score as many goals next season.

The really worrying thing is we arent even being linked to anyone with anything like the quality we need to replace Rom.
Bingo.

I can only hope that will arise when Lukaku goes. Trouble is - and we *know* this will likely happen - Everton will sell in the last week of the window and we'll be struggling if they haven't got a like for like player lined up of some serious quality.

I personally feel we will spend big on a striker if (when) Rom leaves. I'm talking smashing our transfer record big.
I just don't see us lobbing money around the way we have been and not coughing up to replace arguably our most important player.

Absolutely no idea who we'll be looking to bring in though.

I really dont see us in the hunt for that 'experienced player in this league' you underline as being necessary. The other type of forward - the ones that play off them - I'd say are in the pipeline. Sandro fits that mould to me. If we get him for £5M thats good business. However, I think the rest of the Lukaku cash is spoken for and in positions not related to up front.

It would be a big mistake to see our spending thus far as the beginning of our ambitions this summer. IMO the window is going to close soon on what we spend up front. One more in beside Sandro IMO. It better be a top player that can lead the line or we'll be faced with that pop gun attack I mentioned.

Thankfully David you are VERY wrong.

Ronny builds his whole game on the big man up top, we WILL sign a quality number 9 to replace Lukaku. We dont have to JUST replace Lukakus goals, its quite clear that hardly anybody but Rom chipped in with any goals last season, this upcoming season is all about adding attacking threats and building a squad able to play the press all season by having back ups to come in and share the load.

So Lukakus goals will be shared by Sandro, Klassen, OUR NEW NUMBER 9 and whoever we buy for LW.

Pop gun my arsehole, we will replace

iipsrv.fcgi

with

orlandet.jpg

All we can go on is Koemans past record in that regards mate -yes he isn't the one making sole decisions but his input wont be ignored certainly - like at Saints it won't have been.

At Saints his first season in charge he spent 81m, 19 on mane, 12 on long, 12 on Tadic, 9 on Pelle, 10 on a keeper and 11 on Bertrand.

So 52-53m on attacking players out of the 81m

Second season 40 of the 50m spent was on defence

I honestly think he is the type to spend where he thinks it's needed, the available funds - whatever budget we had and from the likely sales of 'squad fillers' i think he's reinvesting it throughout the spine of the team to fix some glaring holes we have (lack of any attacking central players, Goalkeeper, cb and a second striker)

The funds from Lukaku will go right into fixing the attacking areas, as in many ways the need for that depends hugely on if he stays or goes, if he stays then we need to add the likes of Sandro, Klassen to provide more threat and options, as honestly Lukaku will be playing the full 90 and the attack will be centred around him as it has been, IF he goes then we will notbe able to go and spend 80m on a like for like, and instead will go for options and depth as we won't have that every 90 mins every game player

Bingo.

I can only hope that will arise when Lukaku goes. Trouble is - and we *know* this will likely happen - Everton will sell in the last week of the window and we'll be struggling if they haven't got a like for like player lined up of some serious quality.

Will bet you that IF Lukaku is not gone by mid July mate then he won't be leaving this year

Chelsea aren't going into the season without their main striker having a full pre season with them for that type of fee it'd cost, and Kenwright isn't in charge of transfers now and that is plain to see

What would our attack be described as now ?

Pea shooter ?

Works well but complete pointless when faced with a much harder target ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back