Arshavin or Downing?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Moyes won't be gambling on Arshavin - unless he suddenly changes his transfer strategy.

His previous transfers from the foreign market of players that had never played in the premiership before - and he was buying not loaning (Arshavin is not available for loan and we have no loan spaces left anyway) were not successful and seemingly he has given up on spending our money that way.

Previous foreign acquisitions under Moyes (not deals that started as loans);

Da Silva - waste of time so far, moyes hasn't seen fit to start him . Maybe we'll get our money back from burnley (or is it barnsley?)

VDM- jesus wept...

Kroldrup - not exactly a success story.

8.5 million for Arshavin isn't that far off our transfer record that we paid for yakubu (11.5 million). I can't see him risking that on an unknown quantity, even if he has seen him play firsthand. His skills may not transfer to the premier league.

Moyes only seems to spend big on proven commodities in the premiership - Yakubu, AJ, (and fernandes if the deal had gone ahead - he had seen play whilst on loan).

Even players like Cahill and Lescott had proven they could play in the english league.

Moyes did say not long ago he was starting to cast the scouting net a little wider in terms of europe - but given that his fingers have been burnt badly in the past, I can't see him spending 8.5 million on a player like Arshavin - even if a huge section of fans think he's the second coming or something.

More likely if Moyes does want to invest big now (which I feel he doesn't) is Steward Downing. He is a proven premiership player and seems to be getting better. He has reportedly been interested before, but has recently rejected such speculation. Who knows?

some good points there, maybe i was being niieve. both good players though.

Anderson was a free transfer anyway so moyes had nothing to lose, if we sell, we make a profit.

from the Toffeeweb site.

The saga started in 2005, when Brazilian midfielder Anderson Silva supposedly become an Everton player when the club purchased his "commercial and federative rights", held at the time by Uruguayan side National Montevideo even though he actually played for Racing Santander in Spain.

sounds like we originally paid somethign for him, and there has been wages - but I get your point he hasn't been an expensive disaster, just a non-entity.

moyes gets to see him every day in training though and with the players weve got, it would be hard to brake into the team. remember him tacking kick-off with AJ, he was twice the size of him!!

cant be a bad player though, look what hes done at burnley. they go on a great run with him, without, they cant win.

moyes gets to see him every day in training though and with the players weve got, it would be hard to brake into the team. remember him tacking kick-off with AJ, he was twice the size of him!!

cant be a bad player though, look what hes done at burnley. they go on a great run with him, without, they cant win.

Moyes must think he cannot make the step up to the premiership. He wouldn't have him sat in the stands or out on loan otherwise.

At first I thought he was going on loan to learn the competitive english game, but now I just think he's angling to sell him.

The logic seems right regarding the Arshavin/Downing thing though doesn't it? Even though there seems to be a huge ground swell of enthusiasm to bring in the lad arshavin - I admit to being part of it.

Maybe Moyes with his parsimonious philosophy can uncover another arteta on the continent at a bargain price.

We need to save the pennies for Pienaar and possibly Manny after all.

maybe moysie has found another arteta on the continent. Pienaar.

what a player for 2m!

yeah i agree with your downing/arshavin logic (still want arshavin though)

Its difficult to predict innit becuase we dont know whats in the bank and the rumours listed in midfield are a mix of loans and permanent deals

What about a "bargain basement" option - get two players - Davis and Ledley, and save our money for Pienarr and even Fernandes in the summer

This Ledley seems to fit the Moyes Mould of finding the best young players in the Championship, although to be fair theres been no real stories on him recently. Davis - oh I dont know its difficult to believe this one its been around for years. Got to be better than Phil in Midfield though surely?

Arshavin is by far the better player. I'd have him over Downing any day of the week.

Would much rather spend £8.5-9m on Arshavin than £10m on Downing.

Quotes attribtued to the sproting diretor at Zeith say that Newcastle (who else), Everton and Marsellise have asked to be kept in form of Arshavins availabilty since the summer.

Quotes attributed to the palayer himself say he wants to play in the Prem.

I think so anyway my Russians not the May West!

Did anyone else here Bully on talk sport this morning saying that the transfer market was still very much open for Everton, and if any deal made sense it would be done!

Also said that Champions Leauge was a priority goal frrm a commencial point of view!

Did anyone else here Bully on talk sport this morning saying that the transfer market was still very much open for Everton, and if any deal made sense it would be done!

Also said that Champions Leauge was a priority goal frrm a commencial point of view!

It always is if possible.

Not sure Moyes would risk the team dynamic/spirit by bringing in a new face at this stage - unless he felt it was a real need or something of a bargain.

I think if we had an injury to a centre back now, he'd probably buy someone. I think we have all our players until the end of the season.

There's an outside chance he'll go for a winger/midfielder - he'd almost certainly be english or accustomed to the english style.

Arshavin is a long way off. Especially if we are competing with classic newcastle wages. i.e starting point of 65k a week and then upwards.

Not sure he'd be a hit in the premiership or that he'd be worth the rumoured fee.

I tend to agree with you leon and in many ways id prefer to wait untill the summer. It looks like any signing would be a permenant one and i dont makes sense at this time of the year half way through a season.

would be cracking if we got into the CL. not only would we get the extra finances, but we will attract players!! ala Arshavin. would he swap the chance to play in the CL with Zenit, for a team that wouldnt be playing in europe?

also, we have noticed the financial gain brought about by doing well this season with our Chang deal, 8m over 3(?) years.

would be cracking if we got into the CL. not only would we get the extra finances, but we will attract players!! ala Arshavin. would he swap the chance to play in the CL with Zenit, for a team that wouldnt be playing in europe?

also, we have noticed the financial gain brought about by doing well this season with our Chang deal, 8m over 3(?) years.

Im not happy about this deal mate i think its poor in comparison to others, but lets not get of the topic.

When it comes ot ashavin and downing, i have to say i cant really remeber Moyesy making a sublime signing when it came to an out and out winger. I know people will say Arteta and Stevie P but they were more converted central midfielders (not that im complaining).

Last edited:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back