2017/18 Ashley Williams

Status
Not open for further replies.
When he was bought in July last year, I thought he would be a decent signing. He had an average season last year. Unfortunately he has started this season even worse. He looks flat footed, rarely wins anything in the air, and his distribution Is embarrassing.

For a big muscular guy, he should pose a threat at set pieces (he doesn't, and has only done so once against Arsenal) be dominant in aerial battles (he isn't) and be able to at least stop the centre forward from turning/rolling him.

Kane was simply far too strong for him yesterday, and Williams resorted to almost physically assaulting him to prevent him turning.

It's been said by many on this forum, but he needs dropping and replacing by Holgate to see if him and Keane can form a new partnership. Holgate is better than Funes-Mori and quicker, more agile and as equally good in the air as both Williams and Jagielka.

While we are on the subject of giving youth a chance, time for Kenny to be given a shot at right back and DCL as a centre forward.
Not a slight on Holgate at all, the lad is quality whilst defending but he is too slight at the moment.

Hes absolutely turd ... pre-season looked like he put on about 3 stone i'd actually start holgate before him at CB

if your good enough age shouldn't be a problem and i believe holgate is good enough at cb

Which sadly shows our lack of depth.

At the mo he's possibly as bad as any centre half that's been at the club since Carl Tiler

Carl Tiler wasn't a bad player at all, he was just in a terrible team. He's the easy target because he was cheap and wasn't here that long. He was good in the air, comfortable on the ball, and did a job. He's one of a number of players who gets lumped into the same bracket as the funny answer to these type of these posts, along with Gemmil, Pembridge, Phelan. It's usually people who were old enough to watch and compare to the 80s teams, or too young to make their own minds up so listened to their older relatives who watched and compared to the 80s teams.

We've had plenty worse before and since, including William's.

I always thought that centre halves were meant to become better in their positional play as they lose a yard of pace. My god, he must have been awful at this part of the game in his twenties.

He looked genuinely lost yesterday, as he did at times during the week for Wales against second rate opposition.

Not good enough, stealing a living in fact.

375E86B800000578-3748294-This_picture_of_a_young_Ashley_Williams_with_John_Barnes_has_eme-m-3_1471574253536.jpg

Just incase anyone feels sorry for him with the criticism he is getting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back