2023/24 Ashley Young

Was brought in to 'cover' a variety of positions yet has been a starter far more often than what has been necessary.

I just really don't know what he's supposed to offer other than a bit of 'experience' on the pitch, because he ain't no leader that's for sure..

Patterson will be one we flog who goes on and does well, not had even close to a fair crack of the whip at Everton, as with many youngsters sadly.
Would have thought Patterson at right back and Young sat in front of him would have been the way to go for much more game time than we have seen.

The majority of the youngsters we sell, we never see again. Where's that Thierry Smalls lad?

Well I can tell you for a certainty that we aren’t going to see Young again after he’s left Everton. I’d rather take a chance on a young player that might improve over a 38 year old that contributes as little (less imo) and also has no chance of getting better.

Well I can tell you for a certainty that we aren’t going to see Young again after he’s left Everton. I’d rather take a chance on a young player that might improve over a 38 year old that contributes as little (less imo) and also has no chance of getting better.
I would agree but if you're in a relegation battle with a choice of a young player who might cost you a few goals from a lack of positional experience or an older player who is limited in skill but will follow everything by the book of what they *should* do then I'd also choose older player.

If we were comfortably mid table and were a stable club I'd be arguing for Pattersons involvement too.

The majority of the youngsters we sell, we never see again. Where's that Thierry Smalls lad?
Doing well at Charlton after his move to Southampton was a disaster, they ended up cancelling his contract!

Hopefully that bad time at Southampton has humbled him and he begins building his career back up again

I would agree but if you're in a relegation battle with a choice of a young player who might cost you a few goals from a lack of positional experience or an older player who is limited in skill but will follow everything by the book of what they *should* do then I'd also choose older player.

If we were comfortably mid table and were a stable club I'd be arguing for Pattersons involvement too.

Why? When the older player contributes absolutely nothing positive apart from standing where the manager asks him to stand, you’d pick him just because he’s old?

Young costs us more goals than Patterson has ever cost us, by virtue of the fact we’re basically a man down when he plays.

How many goals has Patterson been responsible for when he's got game time?
He had a nightmare against Brighton 18 months ago! (expunged those demons in the 5-1 may i add)

I can think off the top of my head about 3 or 4 goals that Young or Coleman have been directly responsible for!