Atmosphere at Goodison

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apart from the big games our fans expect to beat ****e like Villa and Norwich so there really isnt any need to big as loud or vocal.

Villa second half was fine I thought and was bouncing after Naismith's goal, crowd seems to respond when we are up against it or chasing the game.

Was the same v Sunderland on Boxing day.

Some stands just aren't big chanters basically

PE and GT are the rowdiest stands

When they are both in form, the other two usually join in

GT was pratically silent for the Villa game and it effected everyone else. I was in the Main Stand and even WE were chanting when we brought it back to 1-1, so it can happen

Sitting down has killed atmosphere at grounds, I don't advocate that we should bring back standing in full but maybe standing sections would help? I think there is something in human nature in having more fun when you are standing up.
If you go to a gig, doesn't matter if its in a back room of a pub or Wembley stadium or you have more fun standing

Tbf, the weather was atrocious, we had just been beat 4-0 by Liverpool and we were playing crap in the first half against Villa. So I don't blame people for being quiet.

Anyway, I think the atmosphere has been much better this season compared to last.

But maybe that's because I'm in the Lower Gwladys this season.

Went to Berlin at the weekend and Watched Hertha, Sung throughout, all stood no problems what so ever.

But the question is, when your fans are as noisy as they are for 90 minutes, even when they're losing, does the novelty and fire in the belly of the players ware off, and just be something which is part and parcel of the matchday for the players?

I prefer angry Goodison to Singing Goodison.

I think for the non-glamour games it's down to the the fact that our "end" - The Gwladys Street isn't next to the away fans. I sit in the Bullens and you can tell the Gwladys are trying to start off chants but it's just them so the ground sounds pretty quiet. At places like the Etihad and Upton Park etc, you have a gang of ****s next to the away fans trying to wind them up all game. If you look around the rest of the area's round them grounds, it's silent. Man City is a perfect example. They don't even have an "end" either.

Contrast that to the big games and when we score in front of the Gwladys Street it looks immense. The Gwladys Street starts off the atmosphere and the Park End joins in. Similar grounds are Villa Park with the Holte End because the away fans are on the side like at Goodison. I'd much rather it was **** most of the time but impressive for the bigger games, rather than having a section next to the away fans concentrating on them all game like at Man City.

Obviously we would like a great atmosphere every game but it's never going to happen these days.

Depends on the opposition, how well they are supported, and the importance of the game, and always has. Next week against Palace, I expect the atmosphere to be pretty good, the Palace fans are very lively and we may have a few players back into form/fitness. We should also have cracking atmosphere's against Arsenal and City, and the visit of Manure will be electric (if we win).

Went to Berlin at the weekend and Watched Hertha, Sung throughout, all stood no problems what so ever.

But the question is, when your fans are as noisy as they are for 90 minutes, even when they're losing, does the novelty and fire in the belly of the players ware off, and just be something which is part and parcel of the matchday for the players?

I prefer angry Goodison to Singing Goodison.

I agree with this, at our away match at Palace, their fans sang throughout the game, but it became background noise rather than something which would inspire and motivate the team.

I agree with this, at our away match at Palace, their fans sang throughout the game, but it became background noise rather than something which would inspire and motivate the team.

Was about to say this, Palace have constant singing throughout. But isn't this to do with there version of the Ultras, weren't thet given a set singing area by the club, if people wanted to join in then thats where they sat??

I have said for years that the goodison crowd most weeks are crap. The amount of games, certainly cup games against lower league teams where you hear 2-0 and you still don't sing is unbelieveable. It is almost like the passion just vanishes once people get their backsides into their seats unless it is a team to really get at so to speak.

And the other thing that bugs me, and noone else seems to ever pick up on is grand old team. Nobody ever finishes it! The crowd go as far as 'and if you know your history' and then trail off everytime. what's all that about? Can't we be arsed to sing it nowdays?

The problem has been around for yeard and probably wont change unless they start charging a lot less for the chang at the bar to encourage people to get into the mood more.

Theres your solution.

Status
Not open for further replies.