Atmosphere at Goodison

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have said for years that the goodison crowd most weeks are crap. The amount of games, certainly cup games against lower league teams where you hear 2-0 and you still don't sing is unbelieveable. It is almost like the passion just vanishes once people get their backsides into their seats unless it is a team to really get at so to speak.

And the other thing that bugs me, and noone else seems to ever pick up on is grand old team. Nobody ever finishes it! The crowd go as far as 'and if you know your history' and then trail off everytime. what's all that about? Can't we be arsed to sing it nowdays?

The problem has been around for yeard and probably wont change unless they start charging a lot less for the chang at the bar to encourage people to get into the mood more.

Theres your solution.

Thats not a solution mate.

The lower street end is a mixture of
A) lids/lidettes who want to sing
B) lids/lidettes who don't want to sing and just sit down and moan
C) families

Some people want to watch a match, some people want the atmosphere. The only solution would be for the club to try and group the people who want to sing together. This won't happen, as many people have season tickes and will be reluctant to move to accomodate an atmosphere.

Infact, i think a lid on here apporached the club to follow Palaces idea, he get a 'not a chance' response

Would you lot cheer on and get behind your favourite artist if they were playing like tossers?

No, you wouldn't. You be fuming as to why your £40 was going on utter tripe.

That's not to say we've been playing badly as it couldn't be farther from the truth, but the crowd only really gets going when something kicks off or we're absolutely bumming the opposition all over the shop i.e. the first half against Newcastle.

I think by now people should realise that Goodison won't be rocking every game. If you would like to sing more and want an improved atmosphere sit in gwladys street.

A singing section is hard to replicate lad.... to get a good few dozen people in one area who want to stand and sing for 90 mins isn't easy. You have to create a designated area in a stand & make sure all people there want to be there to sing?

How do we do that like
For me it's not that difficult, forums like this can really help, you decide where it should be then organise people to get season tickets in that block(s)

The GS is rowdy enough, but sitting in the PE it's dead most of the time, away fans laugh at us and theres a handful of us trying to get things going, if we organised people getting their ST in the PE block PE6/7 it would shut up the away fans and force the GS to go even louder.

Now as things stand the GS start singing, we hear it in the PE and start singing along only to stop halfway through any song. Frustrating, i know why it's loud at the derby and quiet against villa, but i'd do anything to have this years derby atmosphere (even half of it) every game!

If all the lids who congregate on the concourse said lets all get our tickets together in the same block at the back of the Street End/Park End or wherever there's enough room then the atmosphere will be great.

As it stands they're too spread out. The atmosphere helps when it is lead. You only need 20/30 lids to have the balls to do it.

Apart from the big games our fans expect to beat ****e like Villa and Norwich so there really isnt any need to big as loud or vocal.

This is why its so bad at certain games. If everyone has this attitude. There really isn't any need ??

I agree with the other part though. Our fanbase is slowly turning 180 to the point that we expect to beat these teams at home. Could it get to the point where we start booing at the final whistle if we draw 0-0 ?

the lower gwladys has been decent this season I think, the derby was booming but thats a given, there was a bit of a narky atmosphere on sat, think it was post-anfield to be honest, once we got going in the second half it was decent. Couldn't care less what away fans think of the atmosphere, if they want to act like there at a pantomine thats up to them, I can't stand these cringy internet created songs, proper kopite stuff that

Singing throughout the whole game isn't ideal, but having noise around the place is, a roar when you're on the break should be heard from all sides of the stadium and singing should follow after that chance.
The times we should sing are definitely at the beginning. Before Z Cars we should all be singing "And if you know your history"
When the players come out they should be greeted with Everton, Everton, Everton but not just a half hearted version, it should be all and shouldn't taper off after 10 seconds. When the players run towards the Gwladys after the fair play handshake we should be singing loud then and up until kick off.

These are the times we need to hear the crowd

I hate most of the "constant noise" attempts at manufacturing atmosphere (some ass banging on a drum for the entire bloody game while the rest of the crowd has a nap; vuvuzela stuff etc.).

The idea of grouping like-minded fans into sections (be they standing, singing, both or something else) seems like the only real solution to help get things kicked off. Everyone else will then follow their lead.

To some extent I don't think it has to be something specific (like singing) all the time. Just stuff like cheering louder for a good pass, getting on the ref for 50/50 decisions that go against us ... stuff like that is just as valuable. To some extent people can encourage that by just leading by example ... although you'll likely end up being glared at by some miserable sod who thinks you're over-reacting ... just have to ignore them and power through.

Howard was talking about how important he felt atmosphere could be to lift players during his commentary on the Chelsea game Monday night. The manager and club can help promote this ... I know it's all a bit American but the 12th man stuff Seattle does is a great example of how encouraging fan noise can actually help results on the pitch thanks to a better atmosphere.

This is why its so bad at certain games. If everyone has this attitude. There really isn't any need ??

I agree with the other part though. Our fanbase is slowly turning 180 to the point that we expect to beat these teams at home. Could it get to the point where we start booing at the final whistle if we draw 0-0 ?
Fans around me were booing at half time against villa

Night matches always seem to have a much better atmosphere. Even at day games in winter the feel of the ground changes as it gets darker & noise levels seem to increase. Can't see it happening, but more night matches would improve things.

Was at Goodison at the weekend and it took until about the 70th minute before the whole crowd were signing together. It's quite bad, it's like watching a tennis match. I was sat above the Villa fans and it sounded like a party below, and that was from a team who only sold half of their ticket allocation.

My game previous to that was Norwich, and it was so quite I felt that if I yelled anything I'd get murdered!

Status
Not open for further replies.