Atmosphere at Goodison

Status
Not open for further replies.
Some stands just aren't big chanters basically

PE and GT are the rowdiest stands

When they are both in form, the other two usually join in

GT was pratically silent for the Villa game and it effected everyone else. I was in the Main Stand and even WE were chanting when we brought it back to 1-1, so it can happen

You don't need the whole stand to be bouncing though. just a section of it. Palace being the example in the prem.

Excluding the likes of the derby/chelsea this season, the atmosphere at home has been dreadful considering how well we're playing, the players we have now, some of the scores etc

What can be done to change it do you think? Do you think it's a problem? Do you think i'm wrong and we've actually had a decent atmosphere?

I sit in the PE and hearing away fans every game cheering ironically because we sing TON TON TON after 70 minutes is beginning to grate on me.

Answers on a postcard...
I think it is because the football is less direct than it use to be, that style is bound to drum up the crowd, lets be honest the fans are not gona be ding the same for sideways passes and knocking the ball about in our own half?

Problem is that if there's only a certain section singing it's hard to hear from the other stands. I went for the spurs game this season and you could hardly hear part of the gwladys street until the whole stand started. More emphasis needs to be put on the bullens road near the gwladys street. If you can get some singing in there then it would be far easier to travel around than just part of the gwladys street. I think we should move the away fans to the corner bullens and gwladys street so it feels more hostile with fans either side of them

I think it is because the football is less direct than it use to be, that style is bound to drum up the crowd, lets be honest the fans are not gona be ding the same for sideways passes and knocking the ball about in our own half?

I'd agree with this. Also some small things have reduced the atmosphere eg the loss of the seating in the corner of Lower Gwladys/Goodison Rd - this often stops the 'carry round' of chanting/singing from Gwladys St to the Goodison Rd seats.

Can't wait to see Palace at Goodison. Quite a lot on twitter/facebook rip them for pretending to be 'ultras'
Starts getting good at 2min 30

[video=youtube;m-1E6ymaVZ0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m-1E6ymaVZ0[/video]

Was about to say this, Palace have constant singing throughout. But isn't this to do with there version of the Ultras, weren't thet given a set singing area by the club, if people wanted to join in then thats where they sat??

Not quite. The group are known as "The Holmesdale Fanatics" and were founded informally by a group of lads who watched together in Block B of the lower Holmesdale. They have been properly active for 2-3 seasons and their noisy support and associated (harmless) behaviour caused the away fans to be moved to the opposite end of the Arthur Wait stand to prevent the sort of confrontations that happened on Millwall days.
They make loads of orchestrated noise and have transformed the atmosphere especially at Selhurst on match days. They also organise and distribute visual displays and banners and have links with the Ultras of the Greek club Panionios.
They have no official link with the club and have been the centre of much criticism regarding the use of flares, particularly at the RS. The club do make use of them wherever possible though, block booking (but not paying for) a section of tickets for a couple of sections at Wembley for them for the play off final so they could form a core of atmosphere. They also get no support from the club over alleged harassment of some of their number from the safety officers of Croydon council which appears to have been escalating recently.
This (Premier League) season, our support has been pretty good, but, like all clubs, much better away than at home, where you can usually stand and people worry about seat numbers less.
I've had some cracking away days watching Everton, wins at Fulham and Bolton in 2011 spring to mind, great atmosphere, loads of noise and mental goal celebrations. Goodison, in my experience is different and I have noticed that the crowd get on the players backs very quickly if things don't go well early. Saturday against Villa I heard booing at half time and the atmosphere didn't really lift until Naismiths goal. Yet Evertonians are among the most passionate group of fans I know in how they speak and feel about their club. I think it's built on a frustration of perceived underachievement whereas, with our recent history, we are over achieving and loving it. I don't suppose that helps.

Can't wait to see Palace at Goodison.

Considering it's a night game in midweek it does seem like we are bringing a few. They'll be pretty noisy I'm sure. (I'll be in the TB with my lad). I do worry that we will soon become a parody of ourselves if we're not careful. I'd hate to become the Surrey kopites.......the "bestfanzintheweerrrllldd."......(shudders).

Arsenal - Yes
City - Yes
Chelsea - Yes
Liverpool - Yes
Spurs - Yes
Newcastle - Yes
Utd - Yes
Newcastle - Yes
Southampton - Yes
Villa - Yes

Every ****ing team in the top half has. Look what I said - on an average day. All those teams have an area where a few hundred -2000 fans stand throughout EVERY game (some have a whole stand where no one sits down at all.)

For arguments sake, teams like Sunderland, Stoke, Swansea, West Ham and Norwich all have better home atmospheres and people standing throughout. I haven't even mentioned the most vocal fans in the league (Palace) which just about sums it up.

We are actually the odd ones out because we don't have a 'standing section'.

I loved the derby because I never saw anyone sitting down at all. Most of the lower G as far as I could see were standing up, it was class. If you want a decent atmosphere inside Goodison, it stems from people being on their feet and being half arsed about the ****ing game.

Can't wait to see Palace at Goodison. Quite a lot on twitter/facebook rip them for pretending to be 'ultras' Starts getting good at 2min 30 [video=youtube;m-1E6ymaVZ0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m-1E6ymaVZ0[/video]
re: the comments from people on Twitter/Facebook: People on the internet (irony!) are the worst. "Pretending" to be ultras ... FFS what does that even mean? Looks like fun to me and creates a good atmosphere ... anything else is people still being overly obsessed with status and people "knowing their place."

Oh you're Palace fans ... you can't act in a way different from what we expect. Heaven forbid anyone try to change or improve outside of their "class." Ridiculous. Good for them. I'm sure they have their fair share of idiots (like we all do ... stop throwing coins!) but overall it seems like a good idea to me.

We could do it differently ... the actual style/mix of chants/songs/cheering whatever is somewhat irrelevant. Getting organized and getting the club to help out with sections is the important part ... then we can worry about what we want to "pretend" to be. I am thinking either pretending to be WNBA or Jai alai fans.

Last edited:

Can't wait to see Palace at Goodison. Quite a lot on twitter/facebook rip them for pretending to be 'ultras'
Starts getting good at 2min 30

[video=youtube;m-1E6ymaVZ0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m-1E6ymaVZ0[/video]
Great that though. Just the support you want from the fans. Imagine if every stand in Goodison was like that week in week out. What a lift they would get when they walked out onto the pitch.

The Palace support is good but their songs are awful.

At Old Trafford in December if you look at any video done from a united fan towards the away end, the Allez Allez Oohhh chant sounds amazing and if we kept it going for like 5 minutes it's inspiring to watch.

We will never have that type of support at Everton and I don't think I'd want it. I love the singing but it has to be at the right time.

Palace fans are enjoying themselves but are they watching the game attentively? I'd rather watch the game and sing when required.

the lower gwladys has been decent this season I think, the derby was booming but thats a given, there was a bit of a narky atmosphere on sat, think it was post-anfield to be honest, once we got going in the second half it was decent. Couldn't care less what away fans think of the atmosphere, if they want to act like there at a pantomine thats up to them, I can't stand these cringy internet created songs, proper kopite stuff that

So you're not going to contribute to the much needed Barkley, Baines and Naismith chants?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back