Atmosphere at Goodison

Status
Not open for further replies.
So once again, the question remains...what can we do??

I always believe at kick off we should be singing our hearts out, not sat in silence. Fair enough if after 20 mins we're playing terrible football, people will sit and groan. But at kick off...we should be up for every game!

Gwladys Street singers...get moving to the Park End and out singing the annoying away support. Paddock people, clap.

A reason for the poor atmosphere in the first half against villa was that the police were making the lads at the back of gt4 (the ones who sing throughout) sit down. If everyone stands up the atmosphere is much better and the police can't force a whole stand to sit down.

A reason for the poor atmosphere in the first half against villa was that the police were making the lads at the back of gt4 (the ones who sing throughout) sit down. If everyone stands up the atmosphere is much better and the police can't force a whole stand to sit down.

But then what about all the kids who can't see a thing?

Standing is used too much as an excuse, the derby i was sat down and everyone around me was, and we were singing our hearts out.

The problem is, we only get up for the big games, every game we roar when the players come out, then stop and go silent.

The fairplay handshake ruins things for me, we have the roar of the players then stop while they shake hands.

I am moving or probably more likely arrived into the senior citizen stage on here and i can say that in 45 or so years of attendance at Goodison it has never been a "singing" crowd. It has been occasionally frighteningly manic, but the choir resided half a mile away and for me let them keep it. In the seventies the excuse was no roof on the Street End, now its sitting down.

Can't beat a good 'ton 'ton 'ton for me and a froth at the mouth on the more excitable occasions. Other managers have said the Goodison crowd is one of the most intimidating on the big occasions i believe and that's what you want, not like that dirge across the way.

So once again, the question remains...what can we do??
This ...

As mentioned a few times on here it's all about standing and getting like minded fans together. There was a vid on here of around 20 fans singing that Bobby brown shoes babe song.

All you need is for that same 20, or equivalent, to stand up together at the match in a block. Everyone will follow as long as they're not in a bad place (eg don't do it in Top Balc etc).

We tried to do that the other year and when we got the numbers, it was great, so we have proved that it works providing you get enough people to make an effort.

We did have problems but that's how you learn how things work, and it was nothing that couldn't have been solved.

So you go back to those vids of fans outside the ground. Organise your ticket buying, and do that in the ground. There's an empty block of seats at the back of GT8 for example, get on the ale, go at the back have a laugh. It just needs a good group of switched on lads to initiate it

Sitting down has killed atmosphere at grounds, I don't advocate that we should bring back standing in full but maybe standing sections would help? I think there is something in human nature in having more fun when you are standing up.
If you go to a gig, doesn't matter if its in a back room of a pub or Wembley stadium or you have more fun standing
This

Despite the evidence that exists in Germany that terraces can be as safe as sitting, it's never going happen here for obvious reasons. While I wouldn't blame the Hillsborough justice campaign for their stance, it's such a shame they're so close minded on the issue

Crystal Palace have the best home support btw, they have their own little 'ultra' section in the corner where they're allowed to stand all game with banners and flags. It creates an atmosphere that the rest of the ground feeds off. Would love to see something like that at Goodison

Excluding the likes of the derby/chelsea this season, the atmosphere at home has been dreadful considering how well we're playing, the players we have now, some of the scores etc

What can be done to change it do you think? Do you think it's a problem? Do you think i'm wrong and we've actually had a decent atmosphere?

I sit in the PE and hearing away fans every game cheering ironically because we sing TON TON TON after 70 minutes is beginning to grate on me.

Answers on a postcard...

I started going around 2005. The atmosphere has without doubt got worse year-on-year without exception. Maybe it's an ageing crowd? A loss of the old hardcore support? I don't really know. Can't explain it.

Might have something to do with the money side too. Been getting worse each year as the prices have been going up. Not saying it is the course but might have something to do with it..

I read a lot of bollocks on forums about how no team has a good atmosphere at home any more.

In general, home atmospheres are ****e but **** ours is piss poor and I'd argue every team in the league has a better atmosphere at home than we do on an average day.

Having said that when it's good, it's really good. Plus our fans are starting to grasp this standing up at every away, FINALLY...

Lower Gwladys behind the stairs should stand, GT4 is class when people stand.

Don't think atmosphere is something that should be forced.

Makes it more special when something memorable happens!

Can't stand bells who sing "shall we sing a song for you" etc. instead of just supporting their own team.

I wouldn't expect us all to be going mad at all times during the game.

I read a lot of bollocks on forums about how no team has a good atmosphere at home any more.

In general, home atmospheres are ****e but **** ours is piss poor and I'd argue every team in the league has a better atmosphere at home than we do on an average day.

Having said that when it's good, it's really good. Plus our fans are starting to grasp this standing up at every away, FINALLY...

Lower Gwladys behind the stairs should stand, GT4 is class when people stand.

Nope.

Excluding the likes of the derby/chelsea this season, the atmosphere at home has been dreadful considering how well we're playing, the players we have now, some of the scores etc

What can be done to change it do you think? Do you think it's a problem? Do you think i'm wrong and we've actually had a decent atmosphere?

I sit in the PE and hearing away fans every game cheering ironically because we sing TON TON TON after 70 minutes is beginning to grate on me.

Answers on a postcard...

Ultras. One half of the Gwladys should be bouncing all game no matter what the score. I don't mean Ultras like last night in the Roma game as that was over the top and would never happen here. Just ones like St Ethienne ( I think its them ) and Atleti/Sevilla. Just flags and banners.
People will obviously say we don't need the atmosphere as we hardly get beat on home. all about opinions mate. Palace have a great set of fans.

Say if it was literally slap bang behind the goal then how could you move the families/couples/OAPS out of their seat?

Last game I went was Norwich and you could have heard a pin drop, been like that for years now apart from the odd game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back