Transfer Rumour Axel Witsel

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hes from the same school of sceince as Fellaini and similar attributes in his locker, however far less awkward, technical, mobile and graceful.

From having watched him a fair bit (CSKA and Zenit tend to get shown most weeks on TV here) he also tend sto play better against the better opposition as well, always liked a player who raises his game against like that (ofc the ideal situation is someone who palys at the top level week in week out but thats rare to find)

Rons supposedly looking to buy multiple midfielders, tells me he doesn't rate a few we already have, 100% convinced McCarthy and sniverly won't be here for long

I hope we will be a new team, there are some players that should stay for the new regime, McCarthy and Cleverly shouldn't IMHO. I always thought our midfield was the weak part of the team last 2 years, maybe even 3-4 years. I hope RK will go for complete midfield upheaval, starting now.

Rons supposedly looking to buy multiple midfielders, tells me he doesn't rate a few we already have, 100% convinced McCarthy and sniverly won't be here for long

Think from the decent links (from journos who actually have a clue) on players suggest we are getting completely revamped in the centre

Wouldn't shock me to see any of them moved on this season, pown opinion is that both Cleverley and McCarthy will be sold, Barry either moves to the US etc or stays as an experienced back up (think thats the most likely), and think even Besic may see himself get loaned out IF Koeman gets all the players he wants in (as can see us bringing in Witsel, Strootman and one other)

I hope we will be a new team, there are some players that should stay for the new regime, McCarthy and Cleverly shouldn't IMHO. I always thought our midfield was the weak part of the team last 2 years, maybe even 3-4 years. I hope RK will go for complete midfield upheaval, starting now.

Thing that got me realising that our centre mid was a weak point is the derby performances, out of the 6 in the last 3 seasons, 4 of them we have let a crap rs side win that battle - twice by a ridiculous margin

Have just watched the Wales-Belgium game (recorded it last night) and in light of some comments on here paid particular attention to Witsel.

He was very disciplined, kept the play moving and was not a weak link in any way. Generally picked up Bale on the set-pieces and Bale didn't get a look in.

I will be happy if we get him.

Have just watched the Wales-Belgium game (recorded it last night) and in light of some comments on here paid particular attention to Witsel.

He was very disciplined, kept the play moving and was not a weak link in any way. Generally picked up Bale on the set-pieces and Bale didn't get a look in.

Noticed he was the one having a go at the other players after williams went unmarked the next corner after he scored as well, which was nice to see

Noticed he was the one having a go at the other players after williams went unmarked the next corner after he scored as well, which was nice to see

Reactions: JLW

spurs have just paid £11mill for a premier proven defensive midfielder in Wanyama.

he is 25 and also had a year left on his contract.

what makes witsel worth TREBLE that amount???

and from what ive seen of him, he isnt as good as wanyama.

why has he been playing in Russia too?? these types of players rarely come to the premier league from Russia and succeed.

im all for improving our team, but i do not want to over pay for mediocre players. our board has mentioned something about 'statements of intent' well i dont believe witsel fits this at all.
At a time when the league champions offered £30M for Troy Deeney, i agree £11M for Wanyama is a bargain!
....However if Witsel is a target for our manager i have no problem with us offering a fee & terms that would make us the most appealing option to the selling club & player!
Until we're regularly playing Champions league football in our shiny new stadium this is surley our best way to secure the players that we want?
I much prefer our new approach to the penny pinching & haggling under the old regime!

At a time when the league champions offered £30M for Troy Deeney, i agree £11M for Wanyama is a bargain!
....However if Witsel is a target for our manager i have no problem with us offering a fee & terms that would make us the most appealing option to the selling club & player!
Until we're regularly playing Champions league football in our shiny new stadium this is surley our best way to secure the players that we want?
I much prefer our new approach to the penny pinching & haggling under the old regime!
Yeeeeeeah. Finally some positive !

Remember lads that we don't even know the fee yet.

Either way last season I would guess every single fan said "we need to buy more players in their primes" - we can't moan at the price of this for a top player.

Thing that got me realising that our centre mid was a weak point is the derby performances, out of the 6 in the last 3 seasons, 4 of them we have let a crap rs side win that battle - twice by a ridiculous margin

We never really played with what I would regard as a conventional midfield during Bobby's reign.

Barry and McCarthy were too defensive so we were regukarly getting overrun in the actual middle of the pitch where Ross would often find himself isolated.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back