Baines's reduced role

Status
Not open for further replies.
But after Mirallas' selfishness, Martinez should have nipped it in the bud in my opinion.

I think it was(but all we can do is hazard a reasonable guess) Baines was out, Lukaku scored, so effectually he was 'in possession' so he took the next one and scored again. After the Mirallas nonsense I thought the player should have been bollocked by Roberto, and I think it probably happened. Personally I wanted Mirallas out of the club, and still do, although its probably happening anyway. The fact that its happened behind closed doors, if its happened at all, means that all you can get from supporters is conjecture. Not much doubt now though, that Lukaku is designated penalty taker, until he misses, at least.

Having a reduced role is the natural order of things.

Keeps him and his talent in the squad and ready to call on, while the likes of Garbutt gradually displace him but still learn from him.

I personally think we're seeing a transition back to old fashioned wing backs, and have done for a while since Baines and Pienaar appeared to have an ESP-level of understanding.

Good display from our Leighton last night. People rave on about Clyne, and rightly so, but Baines was streets ahead of him last night.

More assists in 29 games this season than Shaw, Bertrand and Gibbs have in their entire careers combined (280 games)
Baines doesn't fit the medial mould and therefore he'll never get the accolades or spotlight he deserves.

Still, that probably doesn't bother Leighton knowing his personality traits.

Having a reduced role is the natural order of things.

Keeps him and his talent in the squad and ready to call on, while the likes of Garbutt gradually displace him but still learn from him.

I personally think we're seeing a transition back to old fashioned wing backs, and have done for a while since Baines and Pienaar appeared to have an ESP-level of understanding.[/QUOUTE\]

If Baines is happy playing a reduced role then that's brilliant of us. I'm excited by Garbutt, he really does look like the Baines of a couple of years ago. There's a real spring in his step.

The sooner we get him blooded the better IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back