Baines's reduced role

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's probably been mentioned by now, but he took one FK from about 25-27 yards out. It deflected back to him and he put it back on net through a few defenders. Didn't get enough power on the rebound try though.

Regardless of his performances this season and his record for assists, our left back should not be our most attacking asset. It should be a fall back option or seen as just another resource to get a goal.

Blaming a player whose primary job is to defend seems like a cover up for the lack of creativity in-front of him.

In big games he seems to be told to avoid getting up as much as it leaves the defence exposed, which most of the time leads to lack of chances / crosses , but if we are blaming our left-back for lack of goals then there's a bigger issue that needs to be addressed.

Saying that, I don't think he was the same player he was 2 seasons ago. Whether it be because his partnership with Pienarr was one of the best we've had or he is old is to be debated.

As for corners/crosses, Garbutt is more than capable of whipping in a consistent one. Win a few games now until the end of April to survive being dragged further down the table, and I'd like to see a few experiments in the team, with Garbutt being one of them, but for now Baines has to be first choice

Baines is ace. Had a lot of contributions this season going forward. I think it's 3 or 4 goals and 12 assists in 30 games? Outstanding.

Very solid defensively too. The problem is that it when it might look to the casual observer that he's having a bad game defensively, if you look a bit closer you can see it's usually a problem of cover. Yesterday Naismith was LM and offered him no protection at all. It doesn't matter how good your fullback is, if he gets caught 2 on 1, it ends poorly for him.

Pienaar used to offer fantastic protection and we've missed that. Naismith, Ross, Kev. Whoever plays LM plays as more of a wide attacking mid rather than a left mid and so clearly isn't under instruction to always help out, it's instead the CDMs job. But Barry moves at the speed of sh*t and can't do that very well.

QUOTE="danielefc, post: 3444969, member: 27988"]Regardless of his performances this season and his record for assists, our left back should not be our most attacking asset. It should be a fall back option or seen as just another resource to get a goal.

Blaming a player whose primary job is to defend seems like a cover up for the lack of creativity in-front of him.

In big games he seems to be told to avoid getting up as much as it leaves the defence exposed, which most of the time leads to lack of chances / crosses , but if we are blaming our left-back for lack of goals then there's a bigger issue that needs to be addressed.

Saying that, I don't think he was the same player he was 2 seasons ago. Whether it be because his partnership with Pienarr was one of the best we've had or he is old is to be debated.

As for corners/crosses, Garbutt is more than capable of whipping in a consistent one. Win a few games now until the end of April to survive being dragged further down the table, and I'd like to see a few experiments in the team, with Garbutt being one of them, but for now Baines has to be first choice[/QUOTE]

Last time I looked, Garbutts corners were going straight out of play before reaching the goal area.

Baines has missed one in about 17/18.

Howard recovers from injury and comes back in, people moan. Baines recovers from injury and Lukaku keeps taking the pens, and people moan. I think Lukaku takes them until he misses, the Baines steps in again. Its nice to have a choice. It was Mirallas who was responsible for the penalty debate, no one else. The only debate being amongst supporters.

Howard recovers from injury and comes back in, people moan. Baines recovers from injury and Lukaku keeps taking the pens, and people moan. I think Lukaku takes them until he misses, the Baines steps in again. Its nice to have a choice. It was Mirallas who was responsible for the penalty debate, no one else. The only debate being amongst supporters.

But after Mirallas' selfishness, Martinez should have nipped it in the bud in my opinion.

Baines is ace. Had a lot of contributions this season going forward. I think it's 3 or 4 goals and 12 assists in 30 games? Outstanding.

Very solid defensively too. The problem is that it when it might look to the casual observer that he's having a bad game defensively, if you look a bit closer you can see it's usually a problem of cover. Yesterday Naismith was LM and offered him no protection at all. It doesn't matter how good your fullback is, if he gets caught 2 on 1, it ends poorly for him.

Pienaar used to offer fantastic protection and we've missed that. Naismith, Ross, Kev. Whoever plays LM plays as more of a wide attacking mid rather than a left mid and so clearly isn't under instruction to always help out, it's instead the CDMs job. But Barry moves at the speed of sh*t and can't do that very well.

RFUS, there is only one person to whom the finger of culpability should point.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back