Baines's reduced role

Status
Not open for further replies.
Absolutely brilliant yesterday, from minute 1 he was tighter to his defender than I have seen this year, cut out crosses and got his foot in. In fact the whole team looked like they wanted to tackle yesterday. great stuff.

No Sale from me.
Unfortunately I think it might mean that Oviedo might be sacrificed to keep Garbutt at the club but hopefully a way can be found to keep all three happy and in the squad.

As I said in the match thread
I thought the full backs and and DMs were almost taking it in turns to get forward today, which explained why Coleman was missing on the wing at times. he was returning the 'sitting in' favour to let Jamesey charge forward, same but less so one the other wing.It looks like a more two sided arrangement rather than the usual McCarthy/Gibson/Barry just covering for Baines/Coleman.
It gives us just a bit more variation,stops us being as predictable as we have been.

Baines took at least one free kick yesterday and was up and down the line like every other game, Lukaku did take one free kick and the penalty but that hardly reduces Baines role.

It's ridiculous how under rated Baines is by some of our fans.
This. He's streets ahead of Oviedo and Garbutt but people still don't rate him, absolute quality is our Leighton.

Absolutely brilliant yesterday, from minute 1 he was tighter to his defender than I have seen this year, cut out crosses and got his foot in. In fact the whole team looked like they wanted to tackle yesterday. great stuff.
No Sale from me.
Unfortunately I think it might mean that Oviedo might be sacrificed to keep Garbutt at the club but hopefully a way can be found to keep all three happy and in the squad.

As I said in the match thread
I thought the full backs and and DMs were almost taking it in turns to get forward today, which explained why Coleman was missing on the wing at times. he was returning the 'sitting in' favour to let Jamesey charge forward, same but less so one the other wing.It looks like a more two sided arrangement rather than the usual McCarthy/Gibson/Barry just covering for Baines/Coleman.
It gives us just a bit more variation,stops us being as predictable as we have been.

Without the 2 holding midfielders this would seem a sound arrangement to me and let's hope we don't see 2 holding anytime soon.

Unreal comments about selling Baines, still has so much to offer, will be with us until he wants to leave I think. Keeps himself fit and works hard he will be around until he is 37.

Oviedo though will not be with us next year, Moist fancies him over in Spain
Wouldnt keep him that long, but yeah he'll be here for a few more seasons atleast

Reduced role?!

It's refreshing to see the side less reliant on our left back to start/end every attack for us.

Good grief.

If we were gonna sell Baines, it would have been a while ago. No point in selling him now, would not get even half as much as he worth to us right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back