Beer, revisited

Brighton is a truly dismal place to go out drinking - lots of chain bars selling expensive watery swill and a small number of very pretentious pubs charging £6 per pint, "served" by passive aggressive bar staff.

If you're around for long enough, jump on a train and go to Lewes - several excellent pubs there.

The Lewes Arms. The Black Horse.
Lewes is a special place.
Brighton's largely retained its old seafront atmosphere but the town centre's a mess. Big drug problems too.
It is mad expensive tbf. Town is filthy and a bit try hard cool. Never quite understood the fuss about the place. If it was in the north it would be derided, like Blackpool or Skegness.

It is mad expensive tbf. Town is filthy and a bit try hard cool. Never quite understood the fuss about the place. If it was in the north it would be derided, like Blackpool or Skegness.
It's got a decadent history of course with all the mobs who used to frequent the racecourses of Brighton (and Lewes as it happens). And the Regency gave it the air of rich playground which accounts for the whopping property prices now. It's London-by-the-sea!

It's got a decadent history of course with all the mobs who used to frequent the racecourses of Brighton (and Lewes as it happens). And the Regency gave it the air of rich playground which accounts for the whopping property prices now. It's London-by-the-sea!
Yeah, I find it a bit of a hard place to figure out. There's clearly money down here and all the shops, bars, eateries... but it also feels tired and naff lol.

Only my second visit, both times have been work trips. So no real chance to see that much of the area. But yeah, can't quite see it. Anyway, my beer last night was nice (and under £5).

Yeah, I find it a bit of a hard place to figure out. There's clearly money down here and all the shops, bars, eateries... but it also feels tired and naff lol.

Only my second visit, both times have been work trips. So no real chance to see that much of the area. But yeah, can't quite see it. Anyway, my beer last night was nice (and under £5).

I used to be a frequent visitor when a mate was working at the hosy there.

There are decent pubs, but they tend to be in the back streets and unless you have a good beer guide or you were with someone who knew there way around, you`d never find them.

There`s a really wide choice of beers to be had too, as you`ve got all the micros from the area and a lot of stuff from the South West finds its way down there too.

The Cricketers in the Lanes, is a decent old Victorian boozer, that seems to have survived all the pub rip outs and refurbs.

Once you know your way around the place and know where to avoid, it`s a good place.

The Summer is nuts though, with all the Londoners pilling down for the weekend.

There are decent pubs, but they tend to be in the back streets and unless you have a good beer guide or you were with someone who knew there way around, you`d never find them.

There`s a really wide choice of beers to be had too, as you`ve got all the micros from the area and a lot of stuff from the South West finds its way down there too.

The Cricketers in the Lanes, is a decent old Victorian boozer, that seems to have survived all the pub rip outs and refurbs.

Once you know your way around the place and know where to avoid, it`s a good place.

Went in the Cricketers. Is an alright pub. Had far too many for a school night and I've been sweating ale all day.

It's the rents on places, which means independents struggle in the good post codes. It's the same with Cambridge and Norwich, they have some great pubs but they're more around houses than they are the city centre. Not far walks, but as you say, you need to know about them cos it feels like your walking to nowhere

It's the rents on places, which means independents struggle in the good post codes. It's the same with Cambridge and Norwich, they have some great pubs but they're more around houses than they are the city centre. Not far walks, but as you say, you need to know about them cos it feels like your walking to nowhere
I went to university in Norwich and what you say is very true. There's some excellent pubs but you really need local advice or a good beer guide.

I went to university in Norwich and what you say is very true. There's some excellent pubs but you really need local advice or a good beer guide.

It`s a cracking night in Norwich, once you know you`re way around.

As you say, there are some fantastic pubs, but you have to know where they are.

The Ribs of Beef alongside the river in the centre, is a good old Summer boozer, loads of character and the last time I was there, the ale and the food was top notch too.

It`s a cracking night in Norwich, once you know you`re way around.

As you say, there are some fantastic pubs, but you have to know where they are.

The Ribs of Beef alongside the river in the centre, is a good old Summer boozer, loads of character and the last time I was there, the ale and the food was top notch too.
Totally agree.

This is the pub I mostly went to in when I was in Norwich, the best by far.

IMG_3269-2%20(2).jpg

As you can see, they have a great selection of ales.

fb0a24_1e6859c2dd9b469eb9e8e777f36f96cb~mv2.jpg

On the outskirts of Norwich, but well worth the effort

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back