2023/24 Ben Godfrey

Its why Ashley Young got a new deal, we can't afford to get anywhere close to filling every need the squad has this windown and will have use a bit of duct tape here and there.
Absolutely. Defence is (was) the very least of our issues. We appear to have finally identified that pace and goals are in desperate need of improvement and what little budget we have needs to go on improving those areas. Having to spend on replacing multiple-areas of defence is not what is needed.

We struggle to replace one that covers 3 positions as it has now becomes a priority to do so on an extremely limited budget
Ashley Young covers 2 of those positions. Keane will cover centre back. Job done, all 3 are covered and there won't even be a significant drop off because they're all liabilities. If we were going into next season with Godfrey starting games we were in trouble anyway.

Ashley Young covers 2 of those positions. Keane will cover centre back. Job done, all 3 are covered and there won't even be a significant drop off because they're all liabilities. If we were going into next season with Godfrey starting games we were in trouble anyway.

As we`ve seen season after season, Keane loses games almost single handidly.

He should be used as nothing more than a sub, if at all.

His presence completely changes the shape of the team, as they all get pulled out of position trying to cover for him.

He absolutely should not be anywhere near the starting team under circumstances.

Generally it should be a blend, you usually have one quick one, and one with aerial prowess. You can't just have two big grocks. Obviously great if you have two defenders with all the attributes but that is rare. We have Tarkowski who is the dominant header of the ball.
Generally yes, when you play like we do the rules are different

He won't get a better deal than now. He gets a % of the transfer fee + he gets a fee for leaving + signing on fee and his wages will be higher.

If he doesn't leave he will end up frozen out the squad because there's no benefit to Everton playing him. It's not like he's a significantly better player than others in the squad.
I think he was frozen out to an extent last season, only used in certain games or used because other players were injured. I thought he was a great signing when he came but then broke his leg and caught the Covid virus and seems to have lost something since then.

As we`ve seen season after season, Keane loses games almost single handidly.

He should be used as nothing more than a sub, if at all.

His presence completely changes the shape of the team, as they all get pulled out of position trying to cover for him.

He absolutely should not be anywhere near the starting team under circumstances.
All 4 paragraphs equally apply to Ben Godfrey. Both are liabilities and prone to massive errors.

I think he was frozen out to an extent last season, only used in certain games or used because other players were injured. I thought he was a great signing when he came but then broke his leg and caught the Covid virus and seems to have lost something since then.
When he first joined he looked the real thing,as you say injury and illness have taken their toll.

Keane is in a different league to Godfrey.

The only thing you can say in Keanes favour, is that he does pop up with a few goals, but quite often in the wrong net.
Past 4 seasons Keane has 1 more penalty conceded and 1 more error leading to a goal than Godfrey whilst playing more games. Keane scores more and can head a ball. He's the better centre half but that's not saying much.

Those positions often need covering at the same time, brainthwaite may yet be sold. Godfrey was used as a multi position squad member last season and without him he needs replacing which has to be factored into an already tight budget. It's absolutely not job done, and will require a balancing act on a stretched squad.

To bring someone in willing to cover multiple positions and not necessarily be a starter is tricky, to bring someone in good enough to be a legitimate starter is expensive, that's why Godfrey is useful squad member in his current incarnation.

I'm sure folk genuinely don't even look at our situation.

I do not rate Godfrey at all but I would rather he came into the team than Young or Keane.