2023/24 Ben Godfrey

Past 4 seasons Keane has 1 more penalty conceded and 1 more error leading to a goal than Godfrey whilst playing more games. Keane scores more and can head a ball. He's the better centre half but that's not saying much.
He had the most mistakes leading to goals for a while and looked like Bambi on ice - every team was targeting him as it was easy goals.
Now Young has the most mistakes leading to goals. Hm.

Honestly I'd rather Godfrey than either of them - the least bad player of the bunch.

I do not rate Godfrey at all but I would rather he came into the team than Young or Keane.
I'd also rather he came into the team than them for a one off game but the point I'm making is he isn't such a noticeable upgrade to sacrifice multiple millions of pound for what will now be effectively a one season loan.

On any given day all 3 of them will cost us, but only one of them do we stand to make any money back on.

His versatility is he can 'cover' 3 different positions without playing well in any of them

"He's rapid"

"He's got pace for miles"

It's like nobody has watched him since COVID. The guy can barely jog anymore. Y'all are lunatics for thinking he's even average.

"He's our best RB, second best LB etcetc"

Yeah, that says a TON about our players and 0 about him. Being 2nd to worst doesn't mean you are good, it just means everyone else is crap as well.

"He's rapid"

"He's got pace for miles"

It's like nobody has watched him since COVID. The guy can barely jog anymore. Y'all are lunatics for thinking he's even average.

"He's our best RB, second best LB etcetc"

Yeah, that says a TON about our players and 0 about him. Being 2nd to worst doesn't mean you are good, it just means everyone else is crap as well.
I don’t think anyone is saying he is good. Given you are picking at my view of the situation, to clarify, I wouldn’t say he was good. I even said we obviously need better. But when you have no money to replace him, it doesn’t matter one jot what it says about the other players rather than him. If he stays they are crap, if he goes they are crap. The way to prove the point how bad he is would be to bring him 5 new good defenders to show him up, which we can’t do.

We will spend £15m plus buying someone equally as crap as the player we will let go. Squads do need some versatile bench warmers. Sadly even they cost money.

Last edited: