Best male vocalist….

I think what I admire the most is their ability to sing live and without editing to a standard that still sounds wonderful, without the need for all the technology.

If you think of Mercury at Live Aid, with all the pressure and ambient noise, and he smashes it live in front of a huge crowd. That's a star in my eyes!
Agree, singers usually found out when they perform live, Freddie the best for that although I went with Hucknall as he the best I heard actually live.

Surprised. I adore Slowdive, and Neil's solo records, but have never regarded him as a particularly good singer. Musically, he's on something different to anyone else though.

Same tbh, I was pretty surprised too.but at the same time I'm not sure we've ever really seen any 'good' male singers live. I can't stand voices such as Freddie Mercury etc, who I guess is considered good. And the few I like are dead so

Eddie Vedder?

Chris Cornell, Mark Lanegan and Layne Staley were all far better singers, from the same era, region and musical style.

Vedder's diction is horrible. He sounds like Vic Reeves' club singer.

Staley and Lanegan for me. Both phenomenal.

Captain Beefheart was also an amazing singer.

Sam Cooke is underrated for me, too. it's always Otis or Marvin. He was better than both.
Bit harsh on vedder...

Now obviously Freddie Mercury had a magnificent power and range, McCartney and Elton John were brilliant and had a more subtle approach, but for me David Bowie was probably the best I’ve ever heard, he could just take an audience with him….

Obviously we are all different and have a different view, so who do you reckon and why …….
Bowie really was an incredible performer, especially when the whole Ziggy thing kicked off.

Sometimes its hard to have a favourite album when so many are great, but Heroes does it for me.

I would certainly put him up there as one of the best ever male vocalists.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back