2023/24 Beto

Status
Not open for further replies.
A lot of people saying his goal was clumsy. What I saw was a striker moving into space, using his pace to carry the ball, keeping the ball on his other foot away from the defender, barging the defender away and slotting the ball home. I thought it was fantastic and if Haaland would have scored it people would be talking about the passing, the build up, the movement, the space, the wonderful forward run, the skill, the strength and the finish through the keepers legs.
You do wonder why they those who say "clumsy" watch football. Maybe they dont...

A lot of people saying his goal was clumsy. What I saw was a striker moving into space, using his pace to carry the ball, keeping the ball on his other foot away from the defender, barging the defender away and slotting the ball home. I thought it was fantastic and if Haaland would have scored it people would be talking about the passing, the build up, the movement, the space, the wonderful forward run, the skill, the strength and the finish through the keepers legs.
Clumsy is probobly a code word, bit like how Chermiti was lazy the other night 🙁

One thing thelwell seems to have gotten more right than wrong is the signings of players with a bit of character.

Tarkowski, Onana, garner, McNeill, Beto , Harrison - they all seem to something about them.

Jury’s out on danjuma. Feels like there’s something going on behind the scenes there with lack of minutes.
Danjuma is just pony. Of the two loanees, Harrison is the one to bring in on a permanent deal, hands down

Nothing clumsy about that goal, pace, power, technique running at pace and keeping ball under control, cool finish. He can look a bit ungainly at times and his touch isn’t his best assets but clumsy, that goal was not!!

Nothing clumsy about that goal, pace, power, technique running at pace and keeping ball under control, cool finish. He can look a bit ungainly at times and his touch isn’t his best assets but clumsy, that goal was not!!
Clumsy goals were Arouna Kone, and Oumar Niasse (who made Kone look like prime Alan Shearer). Crap, both of them.

Beto is not Romelu Lukaku reincarnated, but he is going to be decent enough. Same vibe, if not the same talent.

Someone that height, that width (and with such a huge collar) can’t have that amount of pace and look graceful. Its pace created by raw power not sprinters technique.

Quite like the fact he barrelled down on goal like a snorting bull rather than a slick gazelle. Adds to his charm.

He will be gutted if he’s on the bench tomorrow. But he will definitely get starting chances this season.

The beauty for me of Beto's goal is that receiving the ball where he did about 9 out of 10 strikers would have been pushed wide by the marker to reduce the scoring angle with every step. Make no mistake he turned what was a half chance in to a goal with utter strength, speed and great finishing. You'd need a Kane or a Shearer to convert that normally. We've certainly not had a striker for many years who could manage that. Very impressive. Did justice to that 29 pass sequence.

Spot on this

I was impressed from the very start with his awareness , if you look he checks his run to be onside , from the moment Patterson plays that super pass he's onto it , then to carry it that distance then have the composure to finish it shows there's a lot more to his game than some think.

As you say if it was Haaland , Kane even Isak they'd still be creaming themselves over it.
Did @davek note the super pass? 🙂

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back