2024/25 Beto

With the obvious caveat that it was only Tranmere last night surely illustrated the benefit of giving Beto 90 minutes as opposed to 20, one big thing he brings is simply being an absolute physical handful to cope with and likely to grind defenders down over a full game to achieve late success like he did last night.

We know he is technically limited but his size, speed and strength would’ve been a massive part of why he was brought in, maybe to capitalise on that you need to let him bully defenders into submission over a whole game.
100% this. Beto is a handful for any defender with his size and strength. Imagine if he bullies defenders all game, then we have Ndiaye and/or Lindstrom in behind him running at the gaps or feeding in through balls. Instead we have long diagonal balls to the wings followed by a cross to row Z.

With the obvious caveat that it was only Tranmere last night surely illustrated the benefit of giving Beto 90 minutes as opposed to 20, one big thing he brings is simply being an absolute physical handful to cope with and likely to grind defenders down over a full game to achieve late success like he did last night.

We know he is technically limited but his size, speed and strength would’ve been a massive part of why he was brought in, maybe to capitalise on that you need to let him bully defenders into submission over a whole game.
His technical issues make it hard though because he can't keep hold of the ball it's not just if the ball is lumped at him its anything he gave it way a couple of times on saturday with simple balls to his feet and a couple of balls down the channels he didn't make anything of. If we had loads of good players to mask his weaknesses it would be fine but we haven't. When he's started he's really struggled in the premier league and in fact he did last night too against players about 6 levels below.

when I watch him in the 1st team he seems to be trying too hard to be something he isnt. He is a big lump and is a handful but he seems to be trying too hard to be a handful and gives away fouls. He should perhaps wind it back a bit and concentrate on his own game and it will come to him.

Last edited:
It was nice to see Beto getting a run out, getting 2 goals and an assist, all coming in the last 10 minutes as well, proving his "true fitness". I think Beto clearly has strengths that we dont play to, he can run in behind defenders. I think he looks a little more robust as well, you can see for his assist he stood up to a few challenges, whereas last season he probably would have gone down, because in Europe, you would get free kick, but in the UK, its more 50:50 if the ref gives you a foul or not.
We had 2 occasions last season, one was that brilliant goal against Newcastle, where he ended a build up of over 30 passes. One of the best goals we scored in the last few years.

Then Brighton away 1:1, he missed the one vs one, but a good ball into the space.

Must use that more, especially against teams that play high-line.

when I watch him in the 1st team he seems to be trying too hard to be something he isnt. He is a big lump and is a handful but he seems to be trying too hard to be a handful and gives away fouls. He should perhaps wind it back a bit and concentrate on his own game and it will come to him.
Yeah, thought that from day one, trying too hard. It may never happen for him here but I’d love to see how he’d go if he got a run of games and a few goals under his belt and could relax and play his game with some confidence.

Ye thing is there mate he's crap.

Yeah, thought that from day one, trying too hard. It may never happen for him here but I’d love to see how he’d go if he got a run of games and a few goals under his belt and could relax and play his game with some confidence.
Think if he gets the games and mins dcl gets he will get around 10 goals. It’s other parts of the game that may be the issue. Regardless of size him and dcl are two different types of players.

I think time has coloured your view on Peter Reid my friend, he was much better than decent. He was 4th in the equivalent Ballon D'or in 1985, yu dont get that by being a clogger who come good.

That said, your point remains, we dont give ourselves easy options when playing out, that is schoolboy stuff these days
Reid won Player of the Season in 1985. Not sure if both ‘Voters’ and ‘Players’ POS existed then. But his positional awareness is unprecedented among our players since.

I just saw the one on one chance and his main mistake was he kept it wide and overestimated the defender’s pace. It wasn’t nearly as bad as people made it out to be at that angle and at least he forced the keeper into an actual save. Against a premier league defender he likely would have ended up in the same situation where the angle is cut off.

It’s an odd one because his involvements in the second two goals last night were superb.

At other points in the match he looked like he’d never played professional football.

No it isn’t, it’s about a football club being consistently poorly managed for 30 years combined with a fan base that is the most toxic in Europe, only bettered by Glasgow Rangers
Most toxic fan base .??. Do you go to any matches ? Poorly managed ? Yes at all levels … Fans have expectations that lead to frustration when they are not met . Same as all clubs ! As i said last time .. behave !

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back