Big Dunc Memories

Status
Not open for further replies.
….wouldn’t be in my top 10 Everton strikers.
Big Dunc was an iconic no 9 - not a legend - he was great at the time the club needed him most - he left us for Newcastle - sold under Walter Smiths nose without him knowing - injured on return ... his goals per ratio does not even come near to boomer Fred Pickering a prolific scorer for us - only the Yak beat Fred's European goal scoring record back from 1964 which Fred held for an age -

a complete no 9 was Pickering injury cut his career with us short - Dunc came nowhere near him, IMO

So as I stated Dunc was an icon - not a Legend -

I went back many pages and couldn`t find any Big Dunc threads to post the below.... brilliant.

It's not brilliant, Moyes was absolutely right to be fuming at him. Only on the pitch 8 minutes before getting himself sent off needlessly. He was sent on to try and nick us a winner and instead caused for us to have to cling on for a draw.

I like Watson but him revealing that all the players found it funny shows what an awful mentality the team had. No one there demanded any standards from anyone else and they obviously weren't serious about winning games of football.

Ferguson is an Everton icon but only because of his special goals and passion for the club. People who lionise him just for being a hard case are indicative of why the club has achieved nothing for decades.

It's not brilliant, Moyes was absolutely right to be fuming at him. Only on the pitch 8 minutes before getting himself sent off needlessly. He was sent on to try and nick us a winner and instead caused for us to have to cling on for a draw.

I like Watson but him revealing that all the players found it funny shows what an awful mentality the team had. No one there demanded any standards from anyone else and they obviously weren't serious about winning games of football.

Ferguson is an Everton icon but only because of his special goals and passion for the club. People who lionise him just for being a hard case are indicative of why the club has achieved nothing for decades.

….i do think it was an era where fans (especially young fans) had very few ‘hero’s’ and he became a favourite for many. Duncan McKenzie was another who had surprising adulation.

….i do think it was an era where fans (especially young fans) had very few ‘hero’s’ and he became a favourite for many. Duncan McKenzie was another who had surprising adulation.
Not really that surprising, he was very skilful at a time very few others in the team were. Shame he wasn't more consistent, but when he was in the mood he was a joy to watch.

Campbell is more of a legend for this club than Ferguson, said it for years and been shot down many, many times. Whenever we needed Ferguson the most, he wasn’t there 95% of the time. Shows how garbage we were if Ferguson was the person we looked to for inspiration. Got a tattoo and dined off it for the rest of his life.
Apart from when he led an awful team in 98 to survival, he was worth his weight in gold that season. Was also essential in 95 turning the team around. Played with an undiagnosed compressed sciatic nerve for years, must have been in constant.

But of course we aren't allowed to praise any players without some cry arse coming on and pointlessly comparing him to someone else, like you have to like one or the other.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back