Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

• Participation within this subforum is only available to members who have had 5+ posts approved elsewhere.

Big games that aren't big anymore

• Thread starter Thread starter Deleted member 28206
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Never had you down for one of those 'da premier league is der best league in der world' types though I must say.
Because I'm not lid. But I'm not a HEY EVERY1 I'M REALLY INTO FOREIGN FOOTIE AND WEAR CORDS TO THE PEACOCK IN TOWN types either.

Who's arsed about foreign footie apart from beauts and actual foreigners? It's utter rubbish, and it's fine to admit it is.

Because I'm not lid. But I'm not a HEY EVERY1 I'M REALLY INTO FOREIGN FOOTIE AND WEAR CORDS TO THE PEACOCK IN TOWN types either.

Who's arsed about foreign footie apart from beauts and actual foreigners? It's utter rubbish, and it's fine to admit it is.

Really showing your age there lid, who wears cords these days?

Old-Carthusians-i881-revamp.webp In a repeat of the F.A.Cup Final of 1881, Old Carthusians today beat Old Etonians 2-0 to remain top of the Arthurian League.

Last edited:
After the international break Old Carthusians had a thumping 4-0 away win against the Old Harrovians. They remain runaway leaders of the Arthurian League.

Further research has revealed that in the 1887 F.A. Cup sixth round tie against Preston North End, they played a formation of 1-2-2-6. Perhaps a pointer to Bobby for the remaining games of the season.

They unfortunately lost 2-1, due the superior fitness of the professionals. Rumours abound, that in frustration at losing,they started to deliberately foul opposing players, an unheard of state of affairs at the time and possibly a white feather offence.

On the wing that day was C. Aubrey Smith who later became an England Test player and a Hollywood film star ( Dr.Jekyll and Mr Hyde and the Prisoner of Zenda, amongst many others)

He founded the Hollywood cricket club, with David Niven, Ronald Colman and Rex Harrison among the players.
He was once fielding and dropped a difficult catch. He ordered his butler to bring his glasses, which he did on a silver platter.
The next ball, he dropped a sitter at slip, and remarked, 'Damned fool brought my reading glasses.'

No wonder we won two world wars.

Last edited:
What is a big match?
Big_match_Wadsworth_OH.jpg

After the international break Old Carthusians had a thumping 4-0 away win against the Old Harrovians. They remain runaway leaders of the Arthurian League.

Further research has revealed that in the 1887 F.A. Cup sixth round tie against Preston North End, they played a formation of 1-2-2-6. Perhaps a pointer to Bobby for the remaining games of the season.

They unfortunately lost 2-1, due the superior fitness of the professionals. Rumours abound, that in frustration at losing,they started to deliberately foul opposing players, an unheard of state of affairs at the time and possibly a white feather offence.

On the wing that day was C. Aubrey Smith who later became an England Test player and a Hollywood film star ( Dr.Jekyll and Mr Hyde and the Prisoner of Zenda, amongst many others)

He founded the Hollywood cricket club, with David Niven, Ronald Colman and Rex Harrison among the players.
He was once fielding and dropped a difficult catch. He ordered his butler to bring his glasses, which he did on a silver platter.
The next ball, he dropped a sitter at slip, and remarked, 'Damned fool brought my reading glasses.'

No wonder we won two world wars.
Taking a break from their relentless title charge The Old Carthusians triumphed to a hard won 1-0 away win against Landing Old Boys in the Arthur Dunn Cup. They remain favourites to retain the cup.
The Arthur Dunn Cup was originated 1901 in response to the nasty Northern Clubs' dominance, and their gall to pay their players.

Old Carthusians had a hard fought 2-1 victory over Lancing Old Boys to extend their lead to five points st the top of the Arthurian League.

Old Carthusians retained the title of the Arthurian League for the third successive year, losing only once. They also triumphed in the final of the Arthur Dunn Cup, the second oldest cup competition in the world.
To the delight of all, Old Harrovians were relegated ; Old Chigwellians take their place next season.

Last edited:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back